[solved] How to get hardware monitoring data, using command line

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Liloulinx

May 17, 2017
Hello.
I wont to monitore a DELL FX2S (and FC430). I wont to know how to do to get its hardware information (temperature, Fan status....), by using command lines.

PS1: I am under CentOS 7, installed on FC430, integrated on the chassis FX2S .
PS2: I have installed Collectd on FC430 to collect data of this one.

Cordially.
AL

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If there is no specific Dell tool you can access the generic stuff via CIM or SNMP I guess (or linux basic commands as far as they expose the info you're looking for)

Liloulinx

May 17, 2017
If there is no specific Dell tool you can access the generic stuff via CIM or SNMP I guess (or linux basic commands as far as they expose the info you're looking for)
Hello and thank you for your answer.
Yes DELL propose some tools:

The FX2 and the FC430 can work with 3 interfaces:
o CMC
o iDRAC
o OpenManage Essentials​
But I have not used them yet, and do not how to use ther outputs by command line !!!

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
easiest will be to setup snmp via iDrac and query that.
You can check whether ipmitool can access that as well.

Open Manage essentials sounds like a software tool - have you installed it? checked the manual ?;)

Liloulinx

May 17, 2017
Hi,
I configured the FX2S on its web page to send SNMP data to my Monitoring Management Server.
Go to "chassis overview" -> "Alerts" -> Add the IP address of my Monitoring Management Server", then click on send to do a test.
On the Monitoring management server, I have run the command "nc -lu 162", then I received the data (but in non-comprehensible format (binary)).

Now, I must find a solution to understand what I receive.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well I wouldn't do traps.
Run something like snmpget or snmpwalk to get the value's or trees you want

Reactions: Liloulinx

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Hello.
I wont to monitore a DELL FX2S (and FC430). I wont to know how to do to get its hardware information (temperature, Fan status....), by using command lines.

PS1: I am under CentOS 7, installed on FC430, integrated on the chassis FX2S .
PS2: I have installed Collectd on FC430 to collect data of this one.

Cordially.
AL
yum install -y ipmitool
ipmitool sdr
or ipmitool sensor

This works on pretty much every vendors IPMI I've come across. sdr gives you a list without thresholds, and sensor adds the thresholds.

Also, if you're using collectd, you should consdier using the collectd ipmi plugin

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Kybber

Liloulinx

May 17, 2017
Thank you for your answers.
I have used collectd, sensors... to receive these alerts. In another machine I use snmpwalk to get values. Another soft use a Java module to read values sent in binary format.
Have a good day.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Usually ppl just add a "solved" tag to the title (via Thread tools, edit title). Or you can pm a moderator to lock it