[SOLVED] Ghost vSphere vswitch port group

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cyrus104

Aug 13, 2020
I am running ESXi / vSphere 7.0u1, I had a vswitch with 2 standard port groups. The first was Management Network (default had vmk0) and the second one I created was VMs for my VMs and I placed a VLAN ID tag on it.

I have since learned from the community and used another interface for my VMs and I have moved all VMs over to a new vSwitch with a different physical interface. After removal, I no long see port group "VMs" on any of the 3 esxi hosts. However when I got to vSphere datacenter or the higher level vCenter, I can still see the old vswitch port group. I have tried to look everywhere for a way to remove it but am not having any luck.

Looking for a way to fully remove all reference to that port group.

cyrus104

Aug 13, 2020
I've made sure to check in ever vm and can't see anywhere it does. I've checked esxcfg-vswitch and esxcli vm/network to see if it's referenced anywhere but no luck.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You checked under Networking, the switch then the Hosts and VM Tabs and everything is empty?

cyrus104

Aug 13, 2020
Yep

On the ESXi side, I check all three hosts andunder networking and vswitch0 to see what groups were there and right now it's just the "management network" connected to a single physical interface. Nothing says "VM Network".

On the vSphere side, I have checked every host and it does not exist under the networks tab. I go up to the cluster and get the same results, as soon as I go up to the Data Center and vCenter tables they have the "VM Network" in the Networks tab.

On the vSphere side, at the Data Center level I can click on the "VM Network" and it will take me to the networking menu. It pulls p the "VM Network" vswitch and lists zero VMs and zero Hosts. With it being zero on both of those, I'm not sure why it's still there. I wish I could just right click and remove it but that's not an option.

DC View:
1606655831153.png
After going into "VM Network":
1606655900346.png

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
On pic1 there is still a VM listed as using it (VMs 1) - thats why its not gone. Which one got stuck where... well thats a question.
I think there were some cli commands to find out (vsphere cli iirc) but dont have them , sorry

cyrus104

Aug 13, 2020
This makes sense but I can't find any reference to this ghost "VM Network" or vm that is still connected to it.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Maybe playing around with sth like this?

cyrus104

Aug 13, 2020
The link you sent was a good start but didn't cover the issue. I was able to figure it out but I can't find anywhere that this is documented. It was a VM template that I had setup one time long ago. I went to the "VM Network" and it's not listed anywhere. Because the Content Library manages templates, I couldn't make any changes to the template either. I have to spin up a VM from it and then delete the template and save a new one based on the new updated vm.