[SOLVED] Exist IMA File on BMC | IPMI FW v 3.62 [CAN'T ATTACH VIRTUAL DRIVES]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
EDIT: In the event it helps someone else with this same issue I resolved this by rolling back to IPMI FW 3.54. I can attach virtual drives again without issue. Note: I make no attempt to try 3.62 again to see if the issue remains.

###

I updated the IPMI FW on my X9DRH-7TF to v 3.62 and that turned into quite the disaster. I've resolved most of the issues and only one remains: I can't attach virtual storage. It can be horribly slow too and take seconds to update one cursor move, but when in text console no lag.

The last version of IPMIView must have been coded by someone on LSD because the colors were all out of whack (green hue over everything), but at least this IPMI BIOS fixed that. I'd take the trippy colors back any day for virtual storage though.

Reference images below, both devices are pre-populated with "Exist IMA File on BMC." The first thing I tried - o/c - was to plug out those devices and simply plug in the ISO I desire. It does let you do that, but the ISO isn't actually recognized as attached to the system.

While working through another issue (i.e. I did not expect the MB FW flash to fix the issue detailed herein) and this one, I've already done everything I can possibly think of to remedy.
  • Flashed SUPER.ROM followed by X9DRH8.713. Unplug AC. Reset CMOS. Loaded optimized defaults. Etc.
  • Re-attempted the IPMI FW update. Default reset. Cold reset. Etc.
  • Reinstalled IPMIView.
  • (all are the latest and greatest iterations)
Of note, initially I did not uncheck the preserve config box as advised in the instructions (but I didn't realize people actually read those before installing anything). Anyway, any ill impact caused by my overlooking that fact should have already been unwound through the above efforts.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedX1