[SOLVED(?)] A1SRM-2758F not booting with more than one DIMM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ChrisH

Jan 6, 2020
I got a used A1SRM-2758F on ebay, as well as ebay ram with this following label:
8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 ECC UDIMM (Samsung M391B1G73BH0-CK0 Equivalent) Memory
The A1SRM-2758F supported memory lists that part:
Super Micro Computer, Inc. | Support | Resources

If I install either of the modules in the first slot (DIMMA1) then it detects and boots with 8GB. If I install the other identical 8GB module in the next slot (DIMMB1) I get the "no memory detected" BIOS beep sequence.

I think I've included all the important information. I am motivated to get this solved, so if there is anything else I can add, I'd be happy to find the information and add it.

thanks!

EDIT: Just tried the lastest BIOS revision. No luck. Also reset CMOS and BIOS settings to default.
EDIT2: Both DIMMs work in the first slot, but I cannot install both at the same time.

Last edited:

ChrisH

Jan 6, 2020
The solution was to install one module in DIMMA1 and the other in DIMMA2. The board booted and detected the full 16GB. Nothing in the manual suggested that that was a valid configuration. I don't know much about RAM channels, since both modules are in the same channel am I going to see a performance hit? Is it something I could measure or calculate?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It sounds like a defective board or maybe something like something short circuiting on the back of the board, like an unused standoff or something.
You may want to contact Supermicro, if not for this issue alone, they may also be able to fix the AVR54 issue while they are at it.

I imagine that you will see a performance hit, but whether it matters to you is a separate question.