Solid WAN advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

moblaw

Jun 23, 2017
So I've recently been looking to remove my fiber-RJ45 converter box, because it requires a seperate poweradapter, and probably also introduces latencty penalty, by guessing.

I've also been using Pfsense with in a hyperv, which was/is a great pleasure to work with, snort etc. you know the rest..

So I've want to upgrade here and there, and use a dedicated NIC in Hyper-V as WAN. Since I want my server behind that Pfsense hyperv. but a fellow member told me about the downtime of my entire WAN if that server goes in maintence mode, which is right. Thought my server would never experience downtime, but that's not realistic, so I don't want that.

So what do people thing/say when I write this.
Wall = Fiber,
Fiber = CCR1009/Edgerouter Pro,
Router = Isolated (SR-IOV) HyperV Chelsio T520-CR (port 1 WAN) = Chelsio port 2 (LAN) = switch, switch = Intel X520 on server side as receiver for the Pfsense wan traffic but from the switch. Both X520 and T520 are in the same server.

I'm in doubt with the router selection, running atm 1gb links, and I want that 2gb nat forwarding experience from my router. And the CCR1009 has a true 10gb sfp+ port, so the internals can forward more from that port, if I were to compare against the edge pro.

Is this stupid networking? Thanks all.

JustinH

Jan 21, 2015
Singapore
So that member was me right? I'm guessing you have one of the Fibre packages from the telco's in Singapore? Then you cannot directly connect the Fibre to your server as it's a GPON Fibre connection. You will still need that Fibre/Ethernet Bridge/Modem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustinH

Jan 21, 2015
Singapore
And if you go for the 2G links in SG, it's actually 2 x 1G links. Telco's like ViewQwest just set it up as 2 WAN links and use load balancing tricks in the Mikrotik router to spread the load over each WAN connection (so the result is, even with a 10G link to your server/workstation, you won't ever get more than 1G bandwidth on a single connection to the Net

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Still I use VQ and 1G fiber is still crazy good !
Sad when I leave the little red dot, some of the best internet you can get and cheap !

Reactions: JustinH

moblaw

Jun 23, 2017
So that member was me right? I'm guessing you have one of the Fibre packages from the telco's in Singapore? Then you cannot directly connect the Fibre to your server as it's a GPON Fibre connection. You will still need that Fibre/Ethernet Bridge/Modem.

Yes It was you, or a member-clone.

I talked on the phone with my ISP suplier, they said the same as you, that the Ethernet bridge/modem is necessary. What a bummer! Even direct fiber connection required a "translator box", the ISP support guy said.
I'm not using the Singapore ISP, I'm located in DK.

So I'm not going to be removing that fiber converter-box obviously. This actually leaves out the Edgerouter Pro, since it doesn't have 10gb SFP+ in comparison to the CCR1009. Its just so hard to find "comparison reviews". I mean, it isn't hard to find a chart showing CPU vs. CPU in certain tasks, more so, it is hard to find troughput comparison in certain given scenarios.
The option I found, was comparing manufacturers giving dataspecs on certain ruleset. Ubiquiti calculates in PPS, Mikrot.. calculates it differently.

I made an "ELI5" jpeg Skydrev - Because - farewell NSA on two given scenarios.