SOLD: Western Digital Data102 JBOD Enclosure $200 + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

9jack9

Aug 18, 2012
Final EDIT: Unit has been sold, thanks for everyone's interest.

I have a Western Digital Data102 JBOD Enclosure I'm looking to sell with no drives; everything pictured here. Have powered the unit up and did communication with the SAS channels; but we did not have enough drives (needs to be half full) to put into a a JBOD mode. Figure it should go to a better home.

1627575801769.jpeg

Located in Portland, OR

EDIT: The rails in the picture are not the ones included; the ones that I would ship are WD PN: 1EG1062 (they look like they could hold up a ton!)

EDIT 2: It's come up a few times now, but it should be posted in the OP, this JBOD requires 240V AC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Just a heads up for anyone interested, this thing is incredibly deep and requires at least a 47" deep rack. Also 240V only.

9jack9

Aug 18, 2012
Just a heads up for anyone interested, this thing is incredibly deep and requires at least a 47" deep rack. Also 240V only.
Yup! The depth is indeed pretty long, and of course you need significantly more depth to slide this in/out for the top cover.

Also it's pretty loud (didn't get a dB meter on it).

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
I understand @9jack9 wants to sell but it should be noted at the top this system only works on 240V, that way there is no misunderstanding.

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
I see some others have expressed interest and have priority, if the queue drains hit me with a DM. I'm aware of the power/size issues and Portland local.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
what mode is it
The right voltage I might add - if just you silly americans saw the light and turned to AC like the rest of the world :cool:
It's actually a misnomer. Almost every single american house (if not every house) has 240v going into it. But instead of it being 240v->0, its done in 2 legs, voltage drops of 110/120v->0 0v->-110/120v.

This is actually superior in many ways to the rest of the world for home use. (I'd argue it's only inferior in 2 ways 1) its different that what is common elsewhere, but as the US is the largest economy and will remain one of the largest economies doesn't hurt it too bad to be different and 2) as a normal wall outlet is only 110/120v, electrical things that want to heat things (like boiling water) take longer than their 240v cousins as they end up with less energy (I*V^2) being put through.

Of course, for us homelabbers it creates an annoyance as many enterprise systems are built to be able to be used in a 220/240v environment. For our european cousins, this isn't a problem at all, for americans, it is, as its not our normal outlet. With that said, if one wanted to have a server room that had 240v, any competent electrician can make that for you, much like they could enable one's laundry room to have 240v.

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
This makes me drool. But shipping to EU would be murder.
I found company which is transporting goods from US and according to their calculator, shipping would be ~100 eur (freight). But you know how it is with calculators vs real price.
I was very tempted too, but as OP said, it needs to be at least half full, that is 51 drives.

Puppetfreek

Nov 17, 2014
Do you happen know if this unit accepts other brands of drives than HGST/WD? And for those of you wondering about shipping to EU. I bought a Supermicro 90-bay from US and had it shipped to EU on a pallet. Cost me around $300 so not that bad. The VAT (25%) however....

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
what mode is it

It's actually a misnomer. Almost every single american house (if not every house) has 240v going into it. But instead of it being 240v->0, its done in 2 legs, voltage drops of 110/120v->0 0v->-110/120v.

This is actually superior in many ways to the rest of the world for home use. (I'd argue it's only inferior in 2 ways 1) its different that what is common elsewhere, but as the US is the largest economy and will remain one of the largest economies doesn't hurt it too bad to be different and 2) as a normal wall outlet is only 110/120v, electrical things that want to heat things (like boiling water) take longer than their 240v cousins as they end up with less energy (I*V^2) being put through.

Of course, for us homelabbers it creates an annoyance as many enterprise systems are built to be able to be used in a 220/240v environment. For our european cousins, this isn't a problem at all, for americans, it is, as its not our normal outlet. With that said, if one wanted to have a server room that had 240v, any competent electrician can make that for you, much like they could enable one's laundry room to have 240v.
That's a rather disappointing cherry picking of statistics advancing economic privilege as superiority ignoring the reality that we aren't the largest economy if you choose to consider purchasing power parity and China's economy is growing at something like 3x the USA. I'd argue with respect to the topic at hand number of households serviced by various power standards would be a more valid metric in which case your assertion is even less valid. China and India both far exceed our population and if one were to consider standards left over in the remnants of the colonial powers aggregated also likely dwarfs service numbers in the USA.

Our service panels are less reliable/safe due to the possibility of L1/L2 bridging faults that can potentially destroy most if not all devices serviced, we waste more copper delivering similar kW services through out our buildings, and the ubiquitous switch mode power supplies that service the hoards of devices we use daily operate at slightly higher efficiencies when powered by 208/240v.

For those home-labbers stymied by enterprise equipment that require 208/240v take a look at auto-transformers (center tap transformers) they can provide 120/240v split phase from 240v->0 sources and if you're feeling squirrely enough to tap a high current 120v breaker they can step that up to 240v. Last I looked they're about $300 for a 5kVA device.

9jack9

Aug 18, 2012
Do you happen know if this unit accepts other brands of drives than HGST/WD? And for those of you wondering about shipping to EU. I bought a Supermicro 90-bay from US and had it shipped to EU on a pallet. Cost me around $300 so not that bad. The VAT (25%) however....
I have seen conflicting information on this; and I don't know for certain one way or the other, sorry! Shipping a supermicro 90 bay unit for $300 is definitely far less than I thought! It's unlikely I have access to the same shippers as supermicro does though haha.