[SOLD] Quiet SC836 w/ 2x E5-2680v2, X9DR7-LN4F, 112GB DDR3L, 1K28P-SQ, Noctua, Rails

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

levifig

Nov 27, 2017
levifig.com
Moving internationally soon, so selling my entire homelab... Starting with my main server/NAS.
I'll post additional stuff in the next few days, including an R210 II and a few other random things.

This thing is incredible and I'll miss it dearly...

SPECS
Chassis: Supermicro SC-836
PSUs: 2x Supermicro 1280W 1U Redundant 80 Plus Platinum PSU PWS-1K28P-SQ
Motherboard: Supermicro X9DR7-LN4F
HBA: SAS9207-8i LSI SAS PCI-e HBA
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2
RAM: 7X 16GB Transcend 2Rx4 PC3L-12800R 1600 ECC REG 1.35V DDR3L
CPU Cooler: 2x Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U
FANS: 5x Noctua NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM
NIC: Mellanox Connect-X2 10G SFP+ NIC (w/ Cisco transceiver)
RAILS: Full sliding rails

INCLUDED:
- Apacer SSD SAFD SLC 4GB (enough for ESXi)
- 2x 24’’ SATA cables (longer, for the 2 extra bays)
- 4x SFF-8087 to SATA/SAS breakout cables (for all 16 bays)
- 4x 2.5’’ to 3.5’’ Hotswap drive adapter (for SSD mounting in the hotswap bays)
- 2.5" replacement for DVD slot
- A bunch of screws for hot swap trays (originally, came with only 2 per caddy)
- Original (hot-swappable) fans (San Ace 80)

PRICE: SOLD
I'll ship this anywhere in CONUS (buyer pays shipping, but we can arrange something there), but local (50010) would (obviously) be preferred...

PHOTOS: https://www.flickr.com/gp/levifig/G9STr8

Basically, comes with all bays wired up and ready to go. Slot the drives in and power it up! Comes with all the cradles/dummies in the caddies.

This thing is QUIET, even from a normal PC's perspective. Totally doable in the same room (for less noise sensitive people, of course :p).

I'm open to parting it out, but I'd have to have folks take the bulk of it before committing to doing so. Parting it involves more work and shipping costs, overall, and let's not even get into carbon emissions... :p

I'm moving later this summer, and I would really appreciate you guys helping me sell this stuff. It took me a LOT of hours of research to build, and I truly believe it will make another homelabber extremely happy! <3

Thank you! o/

--LF

Last edited:
Reactions: leonroy and Samir

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
What are temps like (HDD, CPU, chassis) with those fans you put in? The stock screamers pull a ton of air through.

levifig

Nov 27, 2017
levifig.com
What are temps like (HDD, CPU, chassis) with those fans you put in? The stock screamers pull a ton of air through.
I definitely wouldn't do any hardcore data crunching with these Noctua chassis fans (which is why I kept and will include the original ones), but the CPU hovers around 35-40C in idle/low load (NAS stuff), and I haven't seen it much over 60C, but I don't have historical data, and I haven't pushed the CPUs too hard.

As for the drives, S.M.A.R.T. is telling me they sit at about ~40C (i.e. one of my pools is doing a scrub right now, and the disks are all around 40-42 on that pool), and have hit an historical max of ~55C (probably when I was mirroring an entire 8-disk pool).

Last edited: