SOLD: Intel Pedestal Server - P4000M chassis + S2600CP2J motherboard + ...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit: 12/15/15 - SOLD

Edit: 11/24/15
If this specific configuration is close (but not exactly) what you are looking for I can possibly modify to suit your needs (such as dual CPU config, memory, graphics, drives etc). Start up a conversation !!
Fixed typo on motherboard description.

Edit 12/16/15
I'd really like to move this along. There seems to be more interest in a "barebones" configuration, so I'll offer some options:

Chassis + Motherboard, $425 + shipping
Chassis + Motherboard + SAS2308, $475 + shipping

Shipping dims/weight at the bottom of the post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I put together this configuration with the intent that it would either be a "basic storage" server or a workstation, with the ability to expand/upgrade as necessary. (No issues, I'm simply downsizing my gear to fund a photography purchase. Long Canon "L" glass ain't cheap !)

The configuration for sale consists of the following:
  • Intel P4000M chassis, dual (redundant) 750W Platinum PSU, 8 hot swap 3.5" drive carriers
  • Intel S2600CP2J dual LGA2011 motherboard
  • Intel RMS25KB080 Integrated RAID module (LSI SAS2308, 8 port)
The chassis, motherboard, CPU cooler and RAID module are new and have less than 20hrs of bench burn in time.
The CPU and memory and SSD are used from other projects.

I have been a long time supporter of Supermicro server products, but I have to say that the Intel server products are engineered equally as well (maybe even a teeny bit better) as their Supermicro counterparts.

One nice thing about this particular motherboard is that 5 of the 6 pci-e slots are accessible from the first processor.

Nice engineering on the airflow - the air shroud mates to the blue pci-e cover and directs air over the slots

Nice engineering on the hot swap trays also. The plastic insert acts as a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter ..

As I'm sure that someone is bound to ask, as of posting the S3700 SSD has 5970 power on hours (~249 days) and 7.463 TB of total host writes (the product spec document indicates it's endurance rating rated is 1.83PBW). The Intel SSD toolkit verifies drive health as good and estimated life remaining at 100%. The drive ISN cross referenced to the Intel Warranty center indicates an "estimated Warranty Expiration Date" of Sept 7th 2019.

Other points to note:
- With 2012r2 at idle, the system draws ~61W. Running AIDA64 stress test, full load is ~119W.
- This server can be rack mounted with the appropriate Intel kit.
- If you wanted to run this as a workstation and add a video card that requires 6+8pin power, the chassis already has the high current power distributor that supports GPGPU cables, again available as an Intel kit.
- SAS backplane connectors are SFF-8087, nice tidy cabling to the SAS2308 controller

Also, as part of full disclosure, I had a video card in slot #3 and was a little too forceful removing it without fully releasing the plastic retaining clip and broke it !

As a cross reference, Newegg have a somewhat similar barebones for about twice the price. (Main difference is that this is the s2600CP2 motherboard with 2x NICs and the Newegg version is the S2600CP4 with 4x NICs).

Shipping within USA or Canada (import duties and taxes are not my responsibility). I'm on the west coast (Portland OR area if you are local and want to pickup) and you can use the FedEx online calculator to approximate shipping charges. I'll be shipping from 97229, box dimensions are 31" x 22" x 12" and the approximate weight is 45lb (to be verified by FedEx).

Start up a conversation with me if you have any questions.

Last edited:

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
That is a great chassis & motherboard. Set up right it is pretty quiet too.

Edit: The one I had I had to run a few commands at the EFI command prompt to mate the board with the case and was able to set the acoustic mode to be like a normal workstation.

Great price for the combo too.

Last edited:
Reactions: legopc and C4PPY

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
Wow, I kind of wish I didn't have a rack and could use this - it is an awesome server case!
How loud is it? (heh, I just saw the 2nd post)

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
How loud is it? (heh, I just saw the 2nd post)
In this configuration it is not loud at all. Even with the AIDA64 stress test running the fans didn't kick in at all. Compared to the 2U Supermicro 825 with a SNK-P0048AP4 CPU fan that I can hear from the rack 15 feet away, it is positively quiet.

@TType85 has it down ... you need to download the Intel "Firmware Update Package for EFI" for the specific motherboard, copy the content to a USB stick and run updates from the EFI command prompt.

Specifically, the "UpdateFRUSDR.nsh" script. This script allows you to configure the motherboard and specify which chassis fans and cpu fans are expected to be present. Once configured, the BMC is happy as long as all "expected" fans are detected. If a fan is determined to be missing (i.e. non functional), or if the motherboard has never been configured, then the BMC ramps all fans up to max to compensate.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
Yaaar... I read all your adds like "brit..." and think to myself, at LAST I can get something shipped to Sweden at a normal rate... but no...

Teasing me like that, not cool! :(

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
and think to myself, at LAST I can get something shipped to Sweden at a normal rate... but no...
Did you ever consider using a freight forwarding service?

I just sold an item to a forum member based in Macau, and he used a freight forwarder called "hop shop go" which apparently saves him significant $$. Ironically, they are based at PDX airport (Portland, OR) which is about a 1hr drive from my house, so I was able to drive it over there and also save him the intra-USA shipping charges.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Yes it is! (but as the seller I am biased)

This really brought home to me how well Intel have done to provide an "integrated" solution. (Although marrying the RMS25KB080 to specific Intel motherboards did take things a little too far !)

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Yes it is! (but as the seller I am biased)

This really brought home to me how well Intel have done to provide an "integrated" solution. (Although marrying the RMS25KB080 to specific Intel motherboards did take things a little too far !)
The system looks very tidy, was looking on intel site, it appears that the PCIe 3 x 16 SLot is a PCIe 3 x 8 electrical, is that your understanding as well. Thanks

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
That's correct.

Per the Intel Technical Product Spec:

Processor 1
Slot 1: PCIe Gen III x4/x8 electrical with x8 physical connector
Slot 2: PCIe Gen III x8 electrical with x8 physical connector
Slot 3: PCIe Gen III x8 electrical with x8 open ended physical connector
Slot 4: PCIe Gen III x4/x8 electrical with x8 physical connector
Slot 6: PCIe Gen III x4/x8 electrical with x16 physical connector

Processor 2
Slot 5: PCIe Gen III x8 electrical with x8 open ended physical connector

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
Great server, definitely worth the money. I have one myself and I am very happy with it. Only finding coolers for it was a bit difficult seeing as I wanted to avoid the whole ramping up thing but it turns out you can just use alter that.