Solaris guest proxmox issues with kvm

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I’m not familiar with ‘current’ Solaris. Worked with it 2000-2003 as trade server for our RTS exchange system. That was it. Just read somewhere that the Solaris SMB is the most performing SMB with similar permissions as NTFS has. Wanted to check it out and test in order to replace Windows file servers in wife’s company.

thanks for the reply.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I’m not familiar with ‘current’ Solaris. Worked with it 2000-2003 as trade server for our RTS exchange system. That was it. Just read somewhere that the Solaris SMB is the most performing SMB with similar permissions as NTFS has. Wanted to check it out and test in order to replace Windows file servers in wife’s company.

thanks for the reply.
If I recall right the reason I kind of gave up was the licensing even for home use was in the thousands of dollars. @gea is always expounding the benefits of ZFS on Solaris so I wanted to try it out.

Reactions: gb00s

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can just download Oracle Solaris after registration. It is free for (noncommercial) demo and development but without updates and bugfixes. Commercial use and bugfixes require a subscription (around 800 usd/yr).

But as Sun opened OpenSolaris, you find the ZFS/kernelbased SMB server also in the Opensource Solaris forks like OmniOS, OpenIndiana or SmartOS.

Without this we won't have a free ZFS.

Last edited:
Reactions: gb00s and gigatexal

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
They are all based on Illumos where the OS, driver and storage service development for FC/iSCSI, NFS and SMB is done (think of it like Linux vs distributions) so the SMB server is always the same but every distribution has a special use case target.

SmartOS (Joyent/Samsung) is base of an enterprise class virtualisation solution like ProxMox or ESXi. OpenIndiana follows the idea of former OpenSolaris with a GUI and additional desktop apps with a similar use case like Ubuntu. OmniOS can be used for production server and storage systems due a stable, long term stable and even a commercial support option with a use case like Debian or RedHat.

My main use case is storage and this is why OmniOS is my main platform.

Reactions: gb00s

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated. I will have a look into OmniOS and maybe SmartOS as virt solution vs Proxmox ...

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I don't even get it OmniOS running as a Proxmox guest. Always tells me there's no disk ... :rolleyes: Will see, maybe something for a new thread. ;)