Solaris 11 + ZFS + Netatalk 3.0 = Orphaned Disk Space?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mike Smith

Aug 30, 2012
Has anyone seen any issues running Netatalk 3.0 on ZFS with Solaris 11?

If I create a filesystem that I share via Netatalk 3.0 and start copying/deleting files from an OS X client, ZFS reports available space decreased even though the filesystem is empty from both the OS X client and Solaris 11 server viewpoints. It appears ~26K-27K of space simply disappears per file deleted. The missing disk space remains orphaned even after I shutdown Netatalk 3.0. If I unmount/(re)mount the filesystem, ZFS reclaims the missing space and everything appears reasonable.

I first noticed this behavior when testing Netatalk 3.0 by repeatedly extracting the Netatalk 3.0 distribution tar file and then deleting everything. After several iterations of this exercise, I noticed a few hundred MBs had gone MIA.

Note that testing has been performed by building Netatalk 3.0 sources and running everything from the command line, so ZFS management environments (like napp-it) are not involved.