Solar panels anyone or wind power

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sapper6fd

May 21, 2013
That would take a lot of solar panels..... considering a large solar panel (21" x 47") only produces around 12v / 100W of power, it would take quite a few to keep a server running during the day. The 100W of power is only produced at peak periods - IE when the panel is pointed directly at the sun on a 30 degree angle. change the angle even just a few degrees and now its only producing 90W. I've built a number of solar panels over the past few years that I use when I'm in a remote area for power. I'm able to power a laptop off of two 100W panels during the day when using an inverter but that's about it. I figure a server would need around 8 100w panels. then at night - your kind of hooped.

TrentKorar

Sep 17, 2014
That would take a lot of solar panels..... considering a large solar panel (21" x 47") only produces around 12v / 100W of power, it would take quite a few to keep a server running during the day. The 100W of power is only produced at peak periods - IE when the panel is pointed directly at the sun on a 30 degree angle. change the angle even just a few degrees and now its only producing 90W. I've built a number of solar panels manufactured by solar panel manufacturers over the past few years that I use when I'm in a remote area for power. I'm able to power a laptop off of two 100W panels during the day when using an inverter but that's about it. I figure a server would need around 8 100w panels. then at night - your kind of hooped.
Well I still believe solar power is much more effective.. I am using it and getting really nice outcomes..

Last edited:

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Yes, I have 5kWp PV panels on the roof, hooked in to a SMA SunnyBoy 5000TL-21. They power my servers. And if I'm careful, just about everything else.

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
Powering the servers directly off solar isn't really an option when you factor in the limited number of hours the sun is at the right angle and the sky is clear. To pull it off you would need an off grid system with panels, charge controllers, inverters and massive batteries. The last off grid system I built uses 6 8v 425 lbs batteries and wouldn't come close to powering my servers through the night.

What you want to look into is a grid tie system where the panels power an inverter that spins your meter backwards when the sun is out. You could also step up to a battery backed grid tie system to power selective loads during outages but batteries reduce efficiency. With the grid tie system that is properly sized you can get your power bill down to almost nothing, usually limited by a base charge or transmission fees depending on utility company.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Is anyone using solar panels or wind to power their servers?
I don't know much of wind power but what I've read in residential wind systems in UK some require 8Kph winds just to start producing power. I don't know if they would be a dependable source of power and need separate inverter to solar system. Depends on your location. You could use to assist to power batteries or get credit from feeding back power to grid (depending on price paid to export power). Any generation system connected to grid needs to use approved components and be approved by power distributor.

Much depends on your situation, goals, government incentives and price to feed power to grid.

Here in Australia feed in tariff has gone from 66c per Kwh (twice price of electricity) to 6c Kwh. I was an early adopter 3 yrs ago so I get 66c price. My 3Kw system generates enough credit to pay my electricity (mainly off peak) and gas charges and give me $500 credit per year. But at 6c Kw for feed in tariff I'd be struggling to pay electricity (off peak) and network fees. (What I would have earned $500 in past would only be worth $50 as newer feed in tariff is 1/10 of old price. Lucky I'm signed up for 10yr contract under higher price.

Though my system cost $10K, but newer 3Kw solar systems could be bought for 1/3 price (though cheaper quality panels and inverter) due to increased production and less demand to install.

The best and initial step should be to reduce power consumption in the home, things like energy efficient appliances (eg fridge), evaporative coolers rather than refrigerant ones, good insulation (roof) and draught control (some air needed) and blocking out hot sun in summer. I was using 9Kw electricity consumption per day before solar install (Now I'm still using 4Kwh) , my hot water & heaters are gas. My TVs (2) are 32cm LCD & LED and use 150 & 100 watts per hour.

With electric cars, batteries are expected to drop to 30-40% of current price in 3yrs aprox and newer panels 20% greater efficiency. There are newer panels being developed that are printable (organic PV) which may be heaps cheaper in few years. I think solar will hit it's stride in 3-4yrs.

But here, current government incentive $2500 for install has made 1.5Kw solar system about $1700 which may help bring down electricity cost a little for the price. Do your sums on whats available. You need north (preferably) facing panels or westerly. (east is limited if you get fog) with no shade.

Depends on your goals, situation, budget and government incentives.

My friend who does solar and wind, just bought a house. He's planning solar with batteries and grid connect and charging batteries on off peak electricity at night with half price power, but system will cost somewhere from $10k to $15K. Depends on usage to size of system.

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps

Reactions: HellDiverUK

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
As a rough guide (depending on your location) the effective hours of generation I from my 3Kw system in summer is about 6 or 7hrs max (18-21Kwh), in winter it's about 4hrs (8-12Kwh). Less if there is any cloud cover and almost negligible if overcast. In 3 years, I've generated about 13,500 Kwh total)

There is good forum on solar stuff: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/143?g=371

And site where people post their daily solar generation figures: PVOutput

PS. I don't know how much your server uses, but if you go battery back up; I imagine you will need heaps of batteries and even double cost of my friend's system.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
My little array on PVOutput.org:

Antrim 5.000kW | Live Output

Figures are a bit wonky for anything before July 2014, but I'm working on sorting that out. Software is PVBeanCounter on Windows, connecting to the SMA Sunnyboy inverter, and I'm using an OWL power meter. It's all running off a NUC DN2820 that's headless, hiding under the sofa in the kitchen/dining room.
:)

Last edited:

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I think the Raspberry Pi is <5w.
Sorry. I was typing out my response to original post when you posted this :).
Raspberry Pi cool concept especially for remote and poorer countries that could be used for messaging and news posts, especially in emergencies. What is total cost of your unit?