So what hardware you have bought lately that was a DUD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Little bored here, so I figured it was about time we had an alternative thread to this one, where we can discuss the crappy hardware we have managed to acquire.

A lot of us buy used hardware, hardware made by vendors of little repute and so on, so every once in a while there must be some duds in between.

So without futher ado, what hardware have you recently managed to buy, that was a total DUD?
If you want to be constructive, include what lessons you have learned from the incident.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I will start, with a more recent example.

I bought two TP-Link TL-SG108e "easy smart managed" 8 port switches, figuring I could use it down-link from my main switch to VLAN segregate a couple of lab machines.

After having ordered them, I found a few threads(TP-Link Easy Smart Switch security question) about these devices on the pfsense forums, where they discuss some stupid security issues with the devices. Basically, you can't prevent a device connected to the switch from connecting to the web interface.

I could have returned the switches, but in my arrogance I chose to keep the switches, in the hope that if all else failed I could use them as a fun little reverse engineering hobby project.

I received the switches recently, confirmed the issue, did a little digging, only to conclude that it would probably not be worth the time to do more about it. In the end, I have chosen to use the switches as dumb unmanaged switches, to this end I have configured the web interface to 127.0.0.1 (I had to mod a configuration file to do this) :)

My lesson: be a little more humble, and don't buy cheap managed switches like this again.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Couple of weeks ago, bought an AS-IS Intel-RS2WC080 HBA (9211-8i variant) for $30. It looks pretty new in Intel retail box and all. Unfortunately Megarec cant's see it and don't see heart beat LED either.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
ordered a pair of E5-2670 v2 ES CPUs, got one and a non-ES E5-2670 v2 that was physically damaged; sent both back but the seller was trying to convince me to keep them "you should test it out!". LOL

on the flip side... sold a set of 4 E5-2630 CPUs on eBay, made a custom anti-static foam container to hold all 4 CPUs in separately. now the buyer is claiming one of them is damaged. I can't see how that could happen unless someone drove a car over the box. i've asked for photos of the damage and the box, but haven't heard back. kind of pisses me off because i know i packed them really well. buying/selling on eBay is such a pain...

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
So how does grasshopper taste?

Always heard they're likely to have bacteria so when you bbq them be sure to do them WELL.

Not sure why most in the U.S.A find insects as food gross. Animal protein good, insect protein... well... @Patrick is it good :p

Reactions: BLinux and Patriot

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
So how does grasshopper taste?

Always heard they're likely to have bacteria so when you bbq them be sure to do them WELL.

Not sure why most in the U.S.A find insects as food gross. Animal protein good, insect protein... well... @Patrick is it good :p
Yeah, having grown up outside the USA, I find it interesting what people won't eat here. On the other hand, most are okay with shrimp, crab, and lobster... If you think about it, they are like large sea insects...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
There is also an aspect to it when you are thinking pork/ chicken/ fish and get crickets...

Reactions: T_Minus

William

May 7, 2015
HAHAHA oh man that is funny. :)
Your a brave man to even take a bite out of that !