so I upgraded the firm on my Emulex OCE11xxxx (branded as HP NC552SFP) and the PC won't boot unless I disable option ROM (in motherboard BIOS)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrjayviper

Jul 28, 2017
As above.

It hangs on the message "initialization done". Before I flashed it, the card will try to "initialize" the 2 ports after displaying "initialization done" message.

Once I disable "Option ROM" in the BIOS, the PC will boot to windows and windows have no problems loading the drivers (at the very least there doesn't seemed to be any issues in Device Manager. I wil lbe connecting this "faulty" card to another Emulex OCE11 running 10.x and see if I can SSH via that link)

The card came with 10.x and I upgraded it to 11.x using a Windows .exe provided by HP. I made sure my card model was listed in supported devices.

Any ideas on how to get back full functionality?

(As a test and this was a shot in the dark, I taped the SMBus pins on the card. Modding a Dell Perc 6 / Dell H310 / Dell H710 (other LSI 1078 or 9223-8i based) SAS Raidcontroller)

Thanks

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
A quick google revealed some posts from people with similar problems. For some taping the pins resolved it. But other than that no real solution.

Reactions: mrjayviper

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Here are some random ideas in no particular order:
  • Enable "above 4g decoding" in BIOS
  • Try the opposite of whatever BIOS/UEFI mode it is in (and/or/whatever CSM)
  • Ensure motherboard BIOS is updated
  • Try in a different motherboard
  • Try to flash the firmware again
Of course, I suppose it is also relevant to ask if you even need it? I assume it is only useful for PXE booting?

Reactions: mrjayviper

mrjayviper

Jul 28, 2017
A quick google revealed some posts from people with similar problems. For some taping the pins resolved it. But other than that no real solution.
I did a search and I didn't come across any issues similar to mine.

Can you share the search keywords you used? Thanks

AHNCHUL

Jan 17, 2020
HP 552SFP NIC has a SMBus Issue on some motherboard. So taping PCI-E B5, B6 pin is a soluion.