So... All of a sudden none of my drives work.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
Hi, for some weird reason all of my harddrives seems to be broken all of a sudden.

I just did a fresh install of FreeNAS, and was in the process of creating some some RaidZ2 vdevs with my current hardddrives, but I was unable to do so. I plugged them into my desktop computer to see if I could figure out what's wrong, but when I try to initialize them I get the following message: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". When I run a test using WD's Data Life Guard Diagnostics I get a message about "too many bad sectors"

Anyone have any idea how this could've happened? The hard drives worked just fine yesterday morning.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
The power did go out yesterday, but it was a warned outage, so the server was offline at the time.

Ok I'll try that thank you. I can use Drive Cleanser in parted magic for that right?

edit:

Did it for one drive, and it seems I can initialize it now at least, so I guess they're ok. Will have to run a test to see if they're actually ok though.

Last edited: