Snapraid + Macrium reflect backups

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klepp0906

Feb 10, 2022
So im sitting here staring at my snapraid.conf totally struggling/stuck on exclusions. I dont want to run my initial sync until I know whether I can/should include macrium reflect backups of my system drive, or exclude that directory entirely.

Heres what I have going on. ~200TB spread across 25 disks or so. Only about 130TB of data at current.

I want to schedule my sync's for midnight daily and my scrubs for sunday after the sync. (its my understanding that writing to disk wont pose a problem during scrub, only sync?)

The reason I need everything to end by 6 is thats when all my other stuff is set to do its maintenance and macrium will be popping off with a system image. Images cant happen during sync as they go to a drive that is part of the array.

Now after the initial sync i believe i should be good for a standard sync timewise right? but the other clincher with macrium is its adding 30gb a day or so on the incrementals. thats added sync time. its adding way more than that ~500gb on the monthly full backups.

Is it reasonable to believe a sync with 500gb of added data would/could still complete in 6 hours time?

i'm also a bit concerned about macrium's behavior with old backup sets. I keep them out to 6 months with fulls, 3 months with weekly differentials, and 1 month on dailies. Once the limit is reached macrium purges the oldest backup set. I imagine its probably 1TB in data in total or something. Is that an accident waiting to happen aka should i exclude my macrium backups altogether? What do you guys do in this regard?

thank you for any insight.

Last edited: