Smoking hot deal: Quanta LB6M 24-port SFP+ 10GbE $500 BO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
what would be the advantage of this switch over an infiniband switch?
Less latency over IP and ethernet since it does both natively without significant overhead. Better interoperability between other networking gear like gigabit switches with 10gbe uplinks. I honestly think my infiniband switch is the reason plex sometimes stutters even though I have plenty of upload speed.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I am building a all in one out from a SM X9SRH-7TNF, which has 2 10gbe ports. Would this switch be appropriate for the 10gbe connections?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I am building a all in one out from a SM X9SRH-7TNF, which has 2 10gbe ports. Would this switch be appropriate for the 10gbe connections?
Yes indeed, if you need gobs of ports, if your only building a single AIO box then this may be overkill and a more appropriate 2-4 port 10G switch w/ 24-48 ports of GbE may be more suitable.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I have 2 AIOs, and a bunch of IP cameras. Does this come with PoE or a sister model that does PoE?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Do your IP cameras even have gigabit ethernet ports? Most I've seen are fast ethernet.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
No, and I don't know of any ip cameras that do. But I am trying to collapse my various switches into one. I have 13 POE IP cameras

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Less latency over IP and ethernet since it does both natively without significant overhead. Better interoperability between other networking gear like gigabit switches with 10gbe uplinks. I honestly think my infiniband switch is the reason plex sometimes stutters even though I have plenty of upload speed.
Another thing to mention with the right switch and licensing you can do 1/10/40Gb ethernet or 10/20/40/56Gb IPoIB my SX6012 switch has all of this capability after i got my hands on an Ethernet key... and the flexibility of the switch doing L3, Splitting QSFP+ into SFP connectors (mixing 1 and 10Gb) as well as running native QSFP to my CX3 cards for 40Gbe. It also gives me a lot of capability of routing, vlan controls, etc.

There are advantages of infiniband if u got the right switch!

Reactions: vintagehardware

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Another thing to mention with the right switch and licensing you can do 1/10/40Gb ethernet or 10/20/40/56Gb IPoIB my SX6012 switch has all of this capability after i got my hands on an Ethernet key... and the flexibility of the switch doing L3, Splitting QSFP+ into SFP connectors (mixing 1 and 10Gb) as well as running native QSFP to my CX3 cards for 40Gbe. It also gives me a lot of capability of routing, vlan controls, etc.

Do the Mellanox ConnectX-2 VPI with QSFP ports on them do 10GigE? I remember somewhere that they did but not sure. How do you enable that in windows?

Literally all I've done on my end is setup a switch which is an IS5030, start the subnet manager, install the drivers for the adapters, and give them an IP. Nothing special beyond that.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Do the Mellanox ConnectX-2 VPI with QSFP ports on them do 10GigE? I remember somewhere that they did but not sure. How do you enable that in windows?

Literally all I've done on my end is setup a switch which is an IS5030, start the subnet manager, install the drivers for the adapters, and give them an IP. Nothing special beyond that.
In Windows in the driver for CX-2 and Up VPI cards you can set it to VPI mode which should allow it usually the driver controls it but the switch also has to have the VPI based functions to switch between ethernet mode and Infiniband mode... Mine i had to set my switches profile after i had the key inserted to VPI mode to allow it to do ethernet...

From what i see i don't think your switch does Ethernet or VPI based on the product briefs yours looks infiniband only.

Here is Mine
http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_ib_switch_systems/PB_SX6012.pdf

Here is Yours
http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_ib_switch_systems/IS5030.pdf

Kal G

Oct 29, 2014
Accepted $375 on the $750 OBO listing today.

Declined $350 a few days ago.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Everyone should boycott these until they drop the price again, they rose the price up to 750 from 500 and are taking even higher best offers sending me offers like 550...meh.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014

What will the Ethernet key cost me?

izx

Jan 17, 2016
Another thing to mention with the right switch and licensing you can do 1/10/40Gb ethernet or 10/20/40/56Gb IPoIB my SX6012 switch has all of this capability...
Where and for how much can one find this magnificent beast?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Are the fans on these supposed to drop to a lower speed after it's been powered on for a while? I don't seem to experience that behavior. It just kicks on and they run at the same speed from boot until I turn it off.

Kris

Feb 6, 2016
Are the fans on these supposed to drop to a lower speed after it's been powered on for a while? I don't seem to experience that behavior. It just kicks on and they run at the same speed from boot until I turn it off.
The fans in mine start at full speed and then ramp down to ~50% after about 5 seconds. Playing around with changing out the fans I did notice that if there was not at least 1 fan that was pwm, then it would not be able to monitor anything under the 'show environment' command which I assume means it is in a fail safe mode. I would check out the fan module and see if you have any issues there.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I got mine swapped out, the one I got from the replacement kicks the fans down after it's plugged in. On the original unit I received, the fans would kick down if I like unplugged the power from the switch and then plugged it back in. The behavior was inconsistent and annoying so I had them swap it.