Smoking hot deal: Quanta LB6M 24-port SFP+ 10GbE $500 BO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Yes.. The LB4M has 2 10GB ports...
I meant in your systems connecting to the switch... if you don't have 10Gig then the switch doesn't do you any good, right? You asked if you needed one :p

HomeLabber

Dec 13, 2015
Wanted to impulse purchase this at work today, but they're just too noisy for me. Anyone modded these with a quiet fan(s) and/or seen how easy this are to open up?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Got one on the way.... Any ideas on how to incorporate the LB6M with the 2 LBM4?

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
@tby: Thanks for your reply regarding the rack ears!

Any ideas on how to incorporate the LB6M with the 2 LBM4?
I'm thinking about that, too. Obvious possibilities:
a) SFP+@ LB4M -> SFP+@ LB6M
b) 2* SFP+@ LB4M -> static or dynamic LAG -> 2* SFP+@ LB6M
But I haven't played with LAG, yet...not sure if it is worth to go through the configuration hassle!?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
It can be with the right firmware - but the firmware on the ones that are available only has limited layer 3 capabilities. Finding other firmware loads is tough.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
It can be with the right firmware - but the firmware on the ones that are available only has limited layer 3 capabilities. Finding other firmware loads is tough.
Although, it may be the case that someone will get lucky. I remember with LB4Ms not everyone had the same firmware versions. There are definitely ways to dump the flash from these if they are anything like Quanta's other switches.

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
Without having any clue about "full-fledged" layer3 switches: it looks like CLI Functions of these two are identical / comparable
- LB4M with image v5.13.12.14 / VxWorks5.5.1 (aka "routing image")
- LB6M with image v1.2.0.14 / Linux 2.6.21.7
(Thats only my first impression after superficially digging through the CLI.)

[...] There are definitely ways to dump the flash from these if they are anything like Quanta's other switches.
Transferring both image slots from LB6M to a TFTP Server goes the same way (it goes on LB4M):
Code:
copy active tftp://<ip-of-tftp-server>/image1
copy backup tftp://<ip-of-tftp-server>/image2
But I couldn't figure out how to backup the whole flash :(

At least one thing is funny: looking at the LB6M images using notepad++ you'll find strings like this one:
Code:
FASTPATH System for lb4m
Which makes this theory really interesting:
That U-boot image may be useful for LB4M...
=> Any ideas how to get the U-boot from LB6M? ...and how to push it on a LB4M?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
So I assume the routing image makes the LB4M and LB6M Layer 3 switches? Can someone educate me on what the routing capabilities do? I understand the switching part of a network switch.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
It looks like the LB4M has the same command line interface (CLI) as the Netgear M4100 Managed Switch. I downloaded the Command Line Interface (CLI) User Manual for the Netgear M4100 switch and the commands are the same. The Netgear M7100 series switch has routing capabilities. I am wondering if the Netgear firmware can be loaded on the Quanta switches.

Last edited:

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
YAY I got back from vacation and these were still available.

In for 1, let the 10G begin!

I think I'm going to swap out my infiniband gear for this switch.

It's super annoying having to reinstall all the IPoIB modules on ESXi every time I upgrade.

Baddreams

Mar 15, 2011
When you open them up you can tell where they were able to get so many from :)

View attachment 1344

Each of the 2 I ordered came with 2 bonus SFP+'s as well, and they were packed ans shipped quick.
Did you happen to take any other pictures while you had it open? Curious to see the fan locations and available real estate.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
Did you happen to take any other pictures while you had it open? Curious to see the fan locations and available real estate.
The layout is practically identical to the LB4M layout inside. There are 3 rear fans and dual hotswappable powersupplies in the rear.

Reactions: Baddreams

Baddreams

Mar 15, 2011
The layout is practically identical to the LB4M layout inside. There are 3 rear fans and dual hotswappable powersupplies in the rear.
Cheers! I'm interested in the switch but not interested in 60 db of noise. I've had great success with swapping out fans in the past, trying to see if I can get away with it here as well.