Smokin' deal on HGST HUSMM 400GB 12Gbps sas drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
You almost pulled me in again today Whitey! However, I managed to restrain myself as I'm waiting for a deal on those 12Gbps 800GB HGST drives. I still have twelve 6Gbps 400GB drives from that original smoking deal you posted. If I can 12 of their faster and larger cousins then I'll be set for all my VM/development needs.

$250 for new sounds pretty great!

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Great deal!

i might have gone this route had i not picked up 2x P3520 2TB NVME PCIe Cards last week for 500/ea for my VSAN environment...

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
You almost pulled me in again today Whitey! However, I managed to restrain myself as I'm waiting for a deal on those 12Gbps 800GB HGST drives. I still have twelve 6Gbps 400GB drives from that original smoking deal you posted. If I can 12 of their faster and larger cousins then I'll be set for all my VM/development needs.

$250 for new sounds pretty great!
hehe, nice restraint but an amazing deal right, those device are da bomb!

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Nice drives, i have one 1680ASS200 and desperately looking for at least one more.
Any thoughts if the 1680 would run nicely with an 8080 or are they more different than the specs say ?

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Thanks guys, this is how i understood it, too.
Just too hard to find any reasonable priced in EU and don't want to wait for ages until some 20-30 USD cheaper drives eventually show up ..

So snagged one of these, price seems ok to me for what these drives are ...
HGST HUSMM1680ASS201 200 0B32141 EMC 118000045-01 800GB SAS SSD Solid State U8 S | eBay
Since it's an emc drive u prob haveta format it out of 520 block to 512 but that's easy peasy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Yes, was a bit concerned, but as they have quanta trays / state 'tested an wiped' not sure if it's really EMC or the seller only gave EMC-PN
Anyway, re-formating if necessary hopefully isn't a big problem.
Guess will initiate consolidation/shipping at the forwarder soon to get hands on it asap :D

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Received my Drive today, pretty low usage and speed like expected :)
But, somehow the FW on the drive is slightly different from the other (A2C0 vs A204)
I wouldn't mind, but on the A204 FW the LED on the Backplane is off with no activity, on the A2C0 it stays permanently on.
I will place them in two chassis and mirror over the CX3, so this is a bit odd.

Any idea how to get both 'in sync' regarding the LED state ?
Has anyone flashed other FW to 1600MM's yet ?

Myth

Feb 27, 2018
Los Angeles
I don't understand why you would need these small capacity drives. 50-60VMs, for what purpose?

We build media servers, we don't use VM's and these drives are too small to provide any kind of usage in our world, but I'm interested to know how they work so well. We usually buy 6TB seagate SAS 12Gb or 8TB even 10TB because we need massive storage and speed.

Are these little drives faster than the bigger 8TB drives?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I don't understand why you would need these small capacity drives. 50-60VMs, for what purpose?
Cache devices (a lot of small, random iops) or storage for applications that require high throuhput in mixed workloads

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
Some people like me also overcommit memory, fast storage helps with that. The operating systems are greatly optimized for keeping most of the hot data in RAM anyway. Why should something that is "sleeping" consume expensive RAM :)

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
That must be DDR4 ECC i hope. Since DDR3 ECC are pretty inexpensive compared to DDR4 price madness!

Some people like me also overcommit memory, fast storage helps with that. The operating systems are greatly optimized for keeping most of the hot data in RAM anyway. Why should something that is "sleeping" consume expensive RAM :)

aero

Apr 27, 2016

We build media servers, we don't use VM's and these drives are too small to provide any kind of usage in our world, but I'm interested to know how they work so well. We usually buy 6TB seagate SAS 12Gb or 8TB even 10TB because we need massive storage and speed.

Are these little drives faster than the bigger 8TB drives?
The little drives, in this case, certainly are faster than bigger 8TB drives for both sequential and random IO.

As already mentioned, SSD excel at random IO, so are a perfect fit for things like VMs and most databases.

Your needs are for capacity + speed, which is most affordably achieved with traditional HDD rather than SSD. Your workload is mostly sequential, so you can achieve good speeds by scaling your spindle count.

If you compared a high spindle count HDD setup vs even just one of these sweet drives for a workload of a typical vmware cluster, this one drive would win hands down.

Reactions: whitey

Myth

Feb 27, 2018
Los Angeles
The little drives, in this case, certainly are faster than bigger 8TB drives for both sequential and random IO.

As already mentioned, SSD excel at random IO, so are a perfect fit for things like VMs and most databases.

Your needs are for capacity + speed, which is most affordably achieved with traditional HDD rather than SSD. Your workload is mostly sequential, so you can achieve good speeds by scaling your spindle count.

If you compared a high spindle count HDD setup vs even just one of these sweet drives for a workload of a typical vmware cluster, this one drive would win hands down.
Oh so sorry, I didn't realize they where SSDs. I thought they were small spinning disks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Mine were delivered several days ago. my neighbor has been holding the package for me. Looking forward to checking them out this weekend. Thanks again @whitey.

Reactions: whitey

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
How hot do these drives get ? Do they need active cooling ?
I was planning on using one of these SAS drives in a ToughArmor MB994SK-1B, but with the Fan disconnected.
those lil 40mm fans are LOUD !!