SMB DIRECT Between WIN10 Pro and WIN10 Pro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

holee

Jan 8, 2023
Hello,
I want to configure SMB Direct using IWARP on my Computer.
I use Network Adapter T6225-CR both side, and i can find this Adapter on my device Manager.
And Server OS is Window 10 enterprise and Client Window 10 Pro.

When i type command Get-AdapterRDMA and Get-SmbClientNetworkInterface, RdmaCapable return true.
But, netstat -xan Command show Nothing on powerShell.
And share folder IO packet is not RDMA/DDP packet ON WireShark. It's just smb2 and isn't have IWARP Property and SMB Direct Property.
Do I have to use the server OS?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
There is a thread about rdma (roce, mellanox implementation of it) and windows 10/11. RDMA for windows clients seems to be broken (again).

For me only server versions showed rdma counters when accessing fileshares.

Reactions: Aluminat

holee

Jan 8, 2023
There is a thread about rdma (roce, mellanox implementation of it) and windows 10/11. RDMA for windows clients seems to be broken (again).

For me only server versions showed rdma counters when accessing fileshares.
i will try again with server os, thanks a lot

olhachycher

Jan 11, 2023
Hello,
I want to configure SMB Direct using IWARP on my Computer.
I use Network Adapter T6225-CR both side, and i can find this Adapter on my device Manager.
And Server OS is Window 10 enterprise and Client Window 10 Pro.

When i type command Get-AdapterRDMA and Get-SmbClientNetworkInterface, RdmaCapable return true.
But, netstat -xan Command show Nothing on powerShell.
And share folder IO packet is not RDMA/DDP packet ON WireShark. It's just smb2 and isn't have IWARP Property and SMB Direct Property.
Do I have to use the server OS?
Hi,

It is possible to configure SMB Direct using IWARP on Windows 10 Pro computers, but it may require additional configuration steps. In order to use SMB Direct with IWARP, both the server and client computers must have RDMA-capable network adapters and the necessary software and settings must be properly configured.

It appears that your network adapters are RDMA-capable and the necessary commands are returning the expected results, but the netstat command is not showing any RDMA connections. This could indicate that there is an issue with the configuration of the network settings or software.

It is also possible that the issue is related to the version of Windows you are using. Windows Server OS has more features and capabilities than Windows 10 Pro, so it may be necessary to use a server OS in order to fully utilize SMB Direct with IWARP.

It's also possible that, you are capturing the packet on the wrong interface. Make sure you are capturing on the correct interface, or check your firewall or security settings.

I recommend reviewing the documentation for your network adapters and the SMB Direct feature to ensure that you have configured everything correctly, and consult with the vendor if you need further assistance.

donald24

Mar 4, 2018
For RDMA to work, you NEED to have a Microsoft Server hosting shares. A client box as per M$ requirements needs to be a "Windows 10/11 for Workstations" to make use of RDMA. Microsoft decided that.

holee

Jan 8, 2023
I changed one side pc os from window10 to server2019.

SMB-DIRECT worked very well, (it just activated when client write to server or server read client's file)

thanks for every comment.