smb clients blocking each other when access the same file

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

algato

Sep 18, 2013
Hello,

my setup:

1x Worksation (Win 7) -> editing a 3d-project with common textures on file server
4x Render node (Win 7) -> they help the Workstation by rendering using common textures from the file server
Fileserver (omnios-r151018 + napp-it) -> common textures

Since the update of omnios to the new r151018 my render-nodes "fights" with each other when accessing common files on the file server. In the result, the render nodes do not start to render, because after a few minutes, they are still "fighting". Before, using the previous omnios r151016 it have worked very well.

ACL are inherited from share, will full permission (owner+group+other -> full access)

Someone please have an idea for a solution ?

Thank you and kind regards
Alex

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Have you tried to set the common files readonly -
either via a ZFS property or an ACL?

algato

Sep 18, 2013
thank you very much for your answer.

To be able to work in the week I have switched back to the previous bootenvironment r151016, which is working very well using unchanged user, cifs and acl settings. The problem appears just after the update to the new version. No other setttings have changed.

I have tried today:
NBMAND on/off
Reset acl, set fresh acls. change to 777.

Then I have changed the directly installed omnios r151018 with Broadcom bge network driver to a VM installation using Vmware esxi 6.02 + omnios r151018 + vmxnet3 + user tools. No difference, the same access problem..

As soon as more than a single computer tries to read the same files (60 files a 500 KB), the computers block themselves mutually and not the slightest of the receives the data.

After I stop the render nodes and they stop to try to read the files, after a delay of 20-30 seconds I can acces the files with arbitrary one of my computers.

Switched back to r151016 and all render nodes gets the textures in less than a second, the file access works perfect.

I have no idea for a solution.

Kind regards
Alex

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I have no answer.
You should ask that in the maillist omnios-discuss

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Propably you should ask at Illumos-dicuss as you may find the maintainer of Illumos SMB2 (Gordon Ross) there

amp

Aug 24, 2016
Hello algato and gea,

Did you ever resolve this problem? we have the same issue here on r151018.

Could it have sth. to do with the "nbmand" option? I will try to set this to "off", but currently some clients are rendering and i can not go through a umount/mount cycle.

Thanks and all the Best, Alex

algato

Sep 18, 2013
Hello Alex,
unfortunately, I have not followed up this topic any more because of too much work and a uninterrupted lack of free time.
I just installed the ...16 Version back.
I am very curious whether you manage to find a solution, could you post here, if you find one ?

Kind regards
Alex