SMART error message

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

McKajVah

Nov 14, 2011
Norway
I'm getting some SMART error messages from my system on some of the drives, but not all.

Same for every error message expect the current device.

"Device: /dev/sde [SAT], Read SMART Error Log Failed"

Running Proxmox 5.0 beta with a LSI 9200-8e card with a Rackable SE3016 JBOD with 12 Hitachi 2TB Deskstars.

Have them configured in a 12 drive BTRFS raid10 (2 spare) and scrubs and everything turn up error free. All seems to be working as normal.

Anyone know what this error message is, and should I be worried?

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I'm getting some SMART error messages from my system on some of the drives, but not all.

"Device: /dev/sde [SAT], Read SMART Error Log Failed"

Running Proxmox 5.0 beta with a LSI 9200-8e card with a Rackable SE3016 JBOD with 12 Hitachi 2TB Deskstars.

Anyone know what this error message is, and should I be worried?
I ran into something similar on a 3Ware 9650 controller 6+ years ago. Apparently there was some processing going on in the 9650 or its FreeBSD driver which caused it to occasionally reject SMART requests. I patched the then-current version of smartd (5.43) to keep a counter of the number of times these requests failed, and to only log the error if it happened more than a few times in a row (resetting the counter after a successful request). Eventually the underlying problem went away and I retired the patch.

You can view the patch here. Note that it is for an ancient version of smartd and may or may not have anything to do with the issue you're seeing. Since your error message mentions SAT,you have SATA drives on a SAS controller. If you don't have a SAS expander in your system, try updating your controller firmware. If you do have a SAS expander and are using SATA drives, you're out of luck. Edit: I see you have 12 drives on an 8-port controller. Welcome to Expander Hell (SATA style).