Smart AC?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
In preparation of the coming summer heat, I'm looking to purchase a replacement window AC unit for my home office. I'd like something that I can control remotely via wifi so I can turn on/off and adjust the temperature. Probably looking for something in the range of 8,000BTU.

Does anyone have any personal experience with any such units?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I expect (but have not seen) "Smart AC" that will connect to Alexa or Google home.

the technology is too cheap and small not to add to an AC unit...

Chris

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I expect (but have not seen) "Smart AC" that will connect to Alexa or Google home.

the technology is too cheap and small not to add to an AC unit...

Chris
Yes I've seen these too but looking for some first hand reviews on how well they work.

That AirPatrol I saw but can't confirm if there is anyway to use the app when not connected to local wifi. I need to be able to control AC when I'm not home.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
8000 BTU AC is minimal power, during summer I run my 8000 BTU in my home office from morning to night. It holds the 400sq/ft vaulted ceiling office 68-72 the most of the summer, when it pushes 95+ the temp creeps up, and sustained days of very high heat will push upper 70s.

Depending on your office size and summer temps 8000 BTU is not enough to turn on/off and maintain temperature it would climb temp, kick on, and never get it down to where you want and thus run all day anyway.

Also, all 8000 BTU units are not equal I have 2 other 8000 BTU that can't keep this office cool at all. We use those for blowing cold air on us at night if it's very very hot multiple days (no AC in rooms) or else I would have gotten rid of them.

Reactions: Monoman

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
8000 BTU AC is minimal power, during summer I run my 8000 BTU in my home office from morning to night. It holds the 400sq/ft vaulted ceiling office 68-72 the most of the summer, when it pushes 95+ the temp creeps up, and sustained days of very high heat will push upper 70s.

Depending on your office size and summer temps 8000 BTU is not enough to turn on/off and maintain temperature it would climb temp, kick on, and never get it down to where you want and thus run all day anyway.

Also, all 8000 BTU units are not equal I have 2 other 8000 BTU that can't keep this office cool at all. We use those for blowing cold air on us at night if it's very very hot multiple days (no AC in rooms) or else I would have gotten rid of them.
You know, you're right. I do mainly just keep the AC on 24/7 in the summer. The room is only 12 x 12 with 9' ceilings. But sometimes the temps go well down and I like to turn off the A/C to get fresh air. I want to be able to turn the A/C on remotely (ie. when not at home) if I forgot to turn it back on in the morning when the temps are going to go way up or so I forgot to turn it on when going away for the weekend.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You know, you're right. I do mainly just keep the AC on 24/7 in the summer. The room is only 12 x 12 with 9' ceilings. But sometimes the temps go well down and I like to turn off the A/C to get fresh air. I want to be able to turn the A/C on remotely (ie. when not at home) if I forgot to turn it back on in the morning when the temps are going to go way up or so I forgot to turn it on when going away for the weekend.
Ah, I see. In summer I turn it on almost every morning since 8000 isn't enough to "cool down" an 80 degree room my size when hot. When gone for weekend or no plans to work all day in the office I'll leave it off.

I should note that I cool the house/room at night with whole house fan, and window fans so my 'starting temp' often when I turn the AC on in the morning could be 68* or 65*. This is how I am able to hold such low temps all day in such a big room, etc... If I waited until it got to 75* in the room it would be obviously 80+ outside and nearly impossible to get down to 72, that wait is often noon/lunch time. The good thing (for me) at-least is the ice cold AC air blows on my back so even if it's hot hot the cold air cools me nicely :D

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Ah, I see. In summer I turn it on almost every morning since 8000 isn't enough to "cool down" an 80 degree room my size when hot. When gone for weekend or no plans to work all day in the office I'll leave it off.

I should note that I cool the house/room at night with whole house fan, and window fans so my 'starting temp' often when I turn the AC on in the morning could be 68* or 65*. This is how I am able to hold such low temps all day in such a big room, etc... If I waited until it got to 75* in the room it would be obviously 80+ outside and nearly impossible to get down to 72, that wait is often noon/lunch time. The good thing (for me) at-least is the ice cold AC air blows on my back so even if it's hot hot the cold air cools me nicely :D
The main motivation for me if keeping my gear cool. My Plex server gets hit hard all day everyday and my new Threadripper dual 1080Ti workstation is stressed 90% of the time. My office heats up REAL fast i I don't have the AC on when it's 80+ outside.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Not to be a complete smartass - but isnt this why they invented thermostats? Many (most?) AC units have external thermostat inputs and there are smart devices you can integrate with home monitoring systems or Alexa or whatever pretty easily.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Reactions: T_Minus

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Like T_Minus said, the key is to get early start on cooling the air before it gets hot outside. He does it with a house fan so in the AM his temps are cooler. Then the AC can maintain the temps. If you start the AC later in the day or when the room already warmed up, it going to have to work hard to cool the room and it might never get there.

I have that issue when we use a portable AC during the summer months. If i dont start it up in the AM an get the room cool in the morning it never handles the afternoon heat.

Wonder if it better to get a switch with timer that just turns the AC on every morning at 7 am, etc..?

Reactions: T_Minus

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Pretty sure you could hack together something using a harmony hub (or another "smart" IR blaster) to emulate the remote control. With another sensor for temp if required. Or if it will work with a wifi/zwave/? switched outlet or does it need a button pushed once power is applied.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Not to be a complete smartass - but isnt this why they invented thermostats? Many (most?) AC units have external thermostat inputs and there are smart devices you can integrate with home monitoring systems or Alexa or whatever pretty easily.

The problem with the thermostats is when I decide I want to turn off the A/C completely to open windows and get fresh air. I'm not going to leave the A/C on when I open the windows and I can forget to turn it back on or check the weather for that day to know if I NEED to turn it back on.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Pretty sure you could hack together something using a harmony hub (or another "smart" IR blaster) to emulate the remote control. With another sensor for temp if required. Or if it will work with a wifi/zwave/? switched outlet or does it need a button pushed once power is applied.
You can control Harmony remote remotely (ie. when not home)?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You could do that with a smart thermostat, zwave window sensors and something like automations in Home Assistant.

I.e., pull weather forecast data from DarkSky. Turn on the AC a couple hours early if outside temps forecast to rise. Turn it all off if the window opens...

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
You could do that with a smart thermostat, zwave window sensors and something like automations in Home Assistant.

I.e., pull weather forecast data from DarkSky. Turn on the AC a couple hours early if outside temps forecast to rise. Turn it all off if the window opens...

Not sure a thermostat will work for me. I don't currently have any thermostat as I live in a NY apt building (though it's a condo) and we don't have any thermostats. All heat is building controlled and A/C is personal window units.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I was suggesting a portable window unit with an external thermostat connection...then the rest.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
In preparation of the coming summer heat, I'm looking to purchase a replacement window AC unit for my home office. I'd like something that I can control remotely via wifi so I can turn on/off and adjust the temperature. Probably looking for something in the range of 8,000BTU.

Does anyone have any personal experience with any such units?
As much as it pains me to say it, avoid Friedrich. Their units used to be unsinkable battleships, but they've really gone downhill in recent years. Their add-on WiFi "building management" goes off to a 3rd-party consultancy's site that did the (abysmal) software. Friedrich doesn't know anything about how to talk to the A/C units directly (they'll tell you it is "proprietary information", but the answer is they just don't know because it was all outsourced). Same thing with the IR codes - outsourced to China and they don't know.

If you are stuck with them, get a KWW kit (wireless remote wall thermostat) - it is an Enernet T9000 remote with a 14800 node and you can likely get real info from Enernet.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
The problem with the thermostats is when I decide I want to turn off the A/C completely to open windows and get fresh air. I'm not going to leave the A/C on when I open the windows and I can forget to turn it back on or check the weather for that day to know if I NEED to turn it back on.
This seems like one of those "doctor it hurts when I do this" problems. So if you forget to close the window you're just f'd? But you don't forget to close the window, only close the window and turn on the AC? Honestly, I'd be more worried about the humidity and the temperature swings than the heat.