Small webserver advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
Hi guys.

We've been asked to put together a small Ubuntu Server-based web server running bbPress for a business. Given that there will be max. 50 people accessing it total and probably max. 10 simultaneous users, would it be reasonable to expect an Atom processor with 4GB RAM to handle the load?

We don't usually put together web servers and the test web servers I've put together in the last couple of days haven't been particularly CPU intensive so I'm hoping this will work - it'd be nice from a power/size footprint point of view to run it on the most minimal hardware possible.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Odds are with 10 concurrent users it will be OK. I would test it with 25 concurrent users and see if the Atom holds and how the storage subsystem holds (can be important if you embed a lot of pictures/ video on posts.)

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
Odds are with 10 concurrent users it will be OK. I would test it with 25 concurrent users and see if the Atom holds and how the storage subsystem holds (can be important if you embed a lot of pictures/ video on posts.)
Thanks for the reply - good to know someone else thinks it's probably doable :) If they decide to go with the Atom solution rather than something beefier I'll post back re: how it holds up during testing.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks for the reply - good to know someone else thinks it's probably doable :) If they decide to go with the Atom solution rather than something beefier I'll post back re: how it holds up during testing.
Sounds great. Will be interested to see how it turns out for you.