Small rant review of AMD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Hello everyone,
This is a small rant / review of AMD this past few years.

Background:
I owned pretty much every single generational model of ATi/AMD consumer grade cards, and few enterprise/pro cards, and many NV cards too (though not all).
CPU wise, its a mix between Intel and AMD.

Lets start;
AMD has intentionally started to produce less GPU's, and CPU to keep them in demand, but they have no intention of meeting the demand. In short if there was 100 people who want to buy your product, AMD will only produce 40, and increase price due to high demand. Their response its to limit reseller market, as they are loosing money if there are too many cards. Ok fine, so if we pay you more what extra do we get from it?

.Well I don't know. Thats the AMD response. Nothing. You get the GPU or the CPU; each single generation its been getting worse, making less sense for someone to upgrade to new card - as its lacking features of other card. Integer upscaling? Sorry only 5700; You want fluidmotion? Sorry removed - only available on Vega cards; and list goes on.
Their support forum, moderation team, is rude if nothing else.

How are they rude?
"I'm not sure what kind of fix you are expecting" or no response at all for weeks, while one would expect "can't share any details right now, we are working on it or looking into it" but you will never get any professionalism from them. They stop close as to almost insult you, for asking for something.

then comes around the 7900 GPU's. While there aren't big problems in overclocking and such, which has been plague of new GPU's on AMD side; its much worse plague of bugged drivers. Its the missing features, features that should be working. Until recently the AMD transcode and h265 were broken. If you wanted to use parsec, moonlight and use it to stream, or connect to someone/something it wouldn't work. You cannot play newest releases of Witcher 3 dx11/dx12 without hairworks being broken. You cannot play newest cyberpunk 2077 as game crashes on start; and there's no solution for weeks since release; only option is to install older driver (one it first came out with.), and after few weeks of pleading with them / bumping stuff, and reporting it at least once a day; or ms teams bug / chromium bug where the driver will either freeze system or crash driver when you have parsec open/or a game and want to share you screen - I am under perspective AMD just doesn't care; so most expensive consumer card in ATi/AMD's history and you get almost 0 support, and whole lot of broken/unfinished features you can't use. When things work, its really fast... but that is if they work...

Worst part about it, there's no other option... Intel isn't there, and is the most broken driver wise i've ever seen.... hell even intel gma integrated ones from 2004 weren't broken as such... people expected intel iris but bigger, and better - but they got the most broken card, that isn't even doing stuff their integrated cards do...
NV on the other side is going crazy with prices, and power. Its like old meme with AMD v Intel about cores... but this is NV just giving bigger price for their products, while locking them down even further... making 4090/3090 cards literally only gaming cards with power delivery problem... and come with their own set of issues, about lying in bitrate, color ranges, and so on... producing much crappier colors.

Next part about spying... yes "sharing data" on amd side is only a toggle to make you feel alright, they took the pointers from MS i see... the release driver for 7900 literally records sites / screencaps what you are doing on the system every few minutes; and sending it over to whatever...

so here it is...
1679883459099.png

I'm not going to buy or recommend any hardware from them (for servers/desktops) until this changes; and I have patience of stone, and will of the stars.

Reactions: Aluminat

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
And that's just the GPU part...

Now look at the CPU business.

- EPYC / Threadripper PRO / Ryzen PRO vendor locking - This is possible the worst thing I've seen in the industry for years

- Threadripper: Not only did they screw Threadripper once, but twice. Possibly a third time soon?

First time: We discontinue X399, you'll have to buy TRX40 because reasons (I quote: "The socket change also sets us up nicely for future development and scalability of the Threadripper platform, both on a near- and long-term basis." https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dsy4kw )

Second time: HA, JOKES ON YOU! There won't be a Threadripper 5000 for your TRX40 platform... But Threadripper 5000 PRO, Ryzen 5000, EPYC 7003. Just no Threadripper non-PRO 5000 because f... you, that's why!

Possibly third time: There are rumors of AMD bringing back Threadripper non-PRO for the 7000 generation, possibly disguised as Threadripper PRO lite (just like Sapphire Rapids)

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
- EPYC / Threadripper PRO / Ryzen PRO vendor locking - This is possible the worst thing I've seen in the industry for years
I agree vendor locking on epyc and TR/pro parts is literally wtf. I 100% agree with that.

First time: We discontinue X399, you'll have to buy TRX40 because reasons (I quote: "The socket change also sets us up nicely for future development and scalability of the Threadripper platform, both on a near- and long-term basis."
but base desktop consumer from ryzen platforms got unlocked (so first gen ryzen mobos users can upgrade up to ryzen 5000), also epyc platforms do seem to support newer epyc's - in almost same way as ryzen platform?

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
[laughs in his 6900 XT regularly hardlocking his computer in VRChat]

Exactly the reason I will be getting a 3090 Ti in the near future for my secondary rig. **** RTG.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
but base desktop consumer from ryzen platforms got unlocked (so first gen ryzen mobos users can upgrade up to ryzen 5000), also epyc platforms do seem to support newer epyc's - in almost same way as ryzen platform?
Yes, all other platforms except normal Threadripper non-PRO got unlocked, which only proves that AMD could easily have published a Threadripper non-PRO 5000, but decided not to and screw all the Threadripper customers for the second time instead

Reactions: CyklonDX

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
In what sense exactly did Epyc get "unlocked"?
Are you telling me I can finally upgrade to 2nd gen Epyc on my H11DSI rev.1? Without "hacking" the bios? That's news to me.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
In what sense exactly did Epyc get "unlocked"?
Are you telling me I can finally upgrade to 2nd gen Epyc on my H11DSI rev.1? Without "hacking" the bios? That's news to me.
Well that's bad luck if you have Rev 1, but at least Rev 2 can upgrade to Zen 2... That's more than X399 Users have ;)

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Calling that an upgrade is a bit of a stretch. Rev.2 was specifically released for Zen2 Epycs.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
dell has released bios upgrades for r7515 (it supports gen2 and gen3), shitty for r7415 (1st gen epyc, only supports gen1 - sits on AGESA 1.0.0.J )
supporting 2 gen of CPU's on servers is the most common. What was very unsual was the ryzen desktop being able to drive up to zen3 from fist gen mobo)