Small mini-itx case ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Question is killing me trying to decide.... And I need to since I pick up more Xeon-D boards end of the week.

been asked many times before but just wondering if anybody has any recent thoughts on the best , smallest, quality mini-itx case.

- mini-itx
- pico PSU
- only drives would be up to 6 x 2.5" SSD (would not be unhappy if it supported 2.5" spinning disks at upto 15mm)
- small as reasonable

Ncase M1 ... But I prefer not to spend so much on cases since buying a few more of those is a complete Xeon-D build. Silverstone ML06 etc sort of work, m350 and morex 557 but bit short on drive bays...
Prefer not to do a rack mount since don't want to spend the space and looks pretty ugly if it has to sit on a desk.

Ozymand

Oct 17, 2014
Another option, one that Patrick once asked about is the SilverStone CS-01HS. 6x2.5" HS with mITX support (vertical alignment, might be good for airflow). It is spendy though.

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- CS01-HS

Edit: Ooops, missed that you're looking for picoPSU. The CS-01HS is SFX form factor. Still an option?

schmookeeg

Mar 25, 2016
Alameda, CA
www.msxpert.com
I have my D-1541 in a Cougar kaze:

COUGAR QBX-KAZE Mini-ITX Ultra-Compact Pro Gaming Mini-ITX Case - Newegg.com

It is surprisingly well laid out, although it has the drives on a "swing out" plate, so if you want to hot-swap drives around, I'd do the Norco instead. For occasional access, it's really nice. I'd call it 90% tool-free. It all went together quickly and without hiccups or odd fitment. The kaze is about 4" narrower than the Norco.

I went with the kaze because it used a standard ATX power supply. While it has mounts for several fans and watercooling (and probably neon lights and a coffee-can exhaust muffler if I look for em), I didn't add any of that. It's a tiny little thing, and seemed just right for the 1541.

$0.02

- Mike

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Thanks for think hints guys, seen the Norco before, QBX like like the M1 a bit but cheaper for sure.
CS01-HS looks really cool, and I love the fan blowing up as well, does not really fit where I intend to put it but will take a closer look anyway.

Picopsu is what I planned to use, but I am not married to that idea, just seems logical. Same cases no PSU makes sense, others not, and they don't have any kind of cover and just leave a huge open hole with no PSU.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
CS01-HS end up same cost as the Ncase M1 more or less but does look nice.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I did consider it but did not see many small mini it'd cases with 5.25 bays, also the fan at the back of the hot swap bays is somewhat of a worry noise/power wise, just a case fan blowing through 'should' be fine for Ssd cooling, highest power ones I am using are pm963 Sata so not super hot SAS high performance ssd

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Just an FYI, I have a mint condition NCase M1 v5 (black) that I'm planning to put up for sale next week when I get back from vacation. PM if interested.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
I have a FreeNAS box with an (extended) mitx ASROCK board and 8x 3.5" drives in a Lian Li Q26B case, and I am quite happy with the case (and other components). That's probably more case/size than you're looking for but FYI.

Lian-Li Global | PC-Q26

The Q26B can usually be had for around $150 new or gently used - probably cheaper if you're patient.