small form factor usb-c enclosures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

damex

Apr 7, 2019
hello,
I am looking for a good usb-c enclosure (JBOD) due to convenience.
I currently have 8x2.5 2t and 4x3.5 10t hdds. I want to reuse some of them.

What I find is some Orico enclosures that have usb-c enclosures with 2x3.5 to 5x3.5 drives and Akitio 2x3.5 drives.
Neither one of them have noise reduction/vibration absorption which is pretty important with 3.5 drives.

AKiTiO Thunder3 Quad Mini - 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 Storage | AKiTiO this one looks like one of there great options to use with 4x2.5 hdds but it is thunderbolt based :(

I want to use it connected to my ASRock Deskmini 310 so it is limited to usb 3.1 type-c gen1 :/

Sadly size and noise does matter.

Thank you.

Sittingmongoose

Apr 8, 2019
Mediasonic makes a 4 & 8 bay usb c gen 2 enclosure.

Also, I’m pretty sure if you connect that thunderbolt 3 enclosure, it will work just at slower speeds. Could be wrong though.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Thunderbolt 3 is a superset of USB C, so it should (in theory) work just fine but at reduced speed. If at all possible try to plug the dock into a USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Jesus Christ their renaming is a nightmare) port so you'll at least have 10Gbps bandwidth available. Thunderbolt 3 provides 40Gb, but 10Gb will get you by just fine. USB 3.1 Gen 1 will still work, but at 5Gbps.

Some ballpark performance numbers to put the bandwidth into context: An average 5400 RPM drive should hit around 120MB/s peak sequential throughput, or around 1Gbps. New high capacity/performance consumer drives will hit around ~150-180MB/s peak and a high performance SATA 3 SSD will net you 500-550MB/s, or around 4-4.5Gb/s. If you're just loading the bay up with 2.5" HDDs 5Gb will be fine, but if you're using multiple SSDs I'd buy a PCIe USB 3.1 Gen2 or Thunderbolt 3 card.

Make sure you have the option to return the enclosure just in case, I can't promise it will work (even though it should.)