SM X9DRI-LN4F+ IPMI BMC file "stuck". "Exist IMA File on BMC"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
So I have a problem with getting an ISO mounted over IPMI on my X9-board.

As soon as I open the Virtual Media menu via the Java console there is a message that "Exist IMA File on BMC",
unplugging and plug in does not work. I have tired a reset of IPMI/iKVM, upgrade of the firmware and multiple reloads, and it is still the same.

Anyone else seen the same issue?

Attachments

FleischKarussel

Sep 5, 2018
Hey kroem,

I currently have the same issue with a rather newish X11DDW-NT based server and tried the same options, updated the SMT firmware to latest etc..
Funny is, it worked flawless a week before, but wanted to reinstall and tried the same path again.
Even with SMCIPMItool...

Code:
172.1.1.17 X11DDW (S0/G0,189w) 10:40 AST2500>vmwa dev2iso c:\ISO\ubuntu-18.04.3-server-amd64.iso
Mounting ISO file: c:\ISO\ubuntu-18.04.3-server-amd64.iso
Device 2 :Exist IMA File on BMC

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
Hey kroem,

I currently have the same issue with a rather newish X11DDW-NT based server and tried the same options, updated the SMT firmware to latest etc..
Funny is, it worked flawless a week before, but wanted to reinstall and tried the same path again.
Even with SMCIPMItool...

Code:
172.1.1.17 X11DDW (S0/G0,189w) 10:40 AST2500>vmwa dev2iso c:\ISO\ubuntu-18.04.3-server-amd64.iso
Mounting ISO file: c:\ISO\ubuntu-18.04.3-server-amd64.iso
Device 2 :Exist IMA File on BMC
I never found a solution :| Had to use a USB-stick.

FleischKarussel

Sep 5, 2018
Hey kroem,

I even got some steps from the support, that didn't work out.
Perform an IPMI module Factory Reset:

Locally:

1. Use “IPMICFG –raw 0x30 0x41” to reset to factory default
  2. Remove AC power cord for ~1 minute

IPMICFG can be downloaded from the FTP (includes DOS, Windows and Linux versions)

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMICFG/

Remote:

1. Use “SMCIPMITool <IP> <username> <password> IPMI raw 30 41”
  2. Remove AC power cord for ~1 minute

SMCIPMITool can be downloaded from the FTP (Includes Windows and Linux versions)

ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/utility/SMCIPMItool/

• The login credentials will be ADMIN /ADMIN again.
  • We recommend clearing the browser and JAVA caches to prevent issues coming back.
  • A factory reset will clear your FRU. If you have this filled out then you can back it up to a text file, see manual page 19 of the IPMICFG manual or check with support.
  • Be aware this reset will also reset networking settings to default (DHCP), as well as the FRU.
If this is a problem you can try using RAW command 0x30 0x40, which doesn’t reset the networking or FRU, but may also not solve your problem.

nek

Jul 17, 2020
In my case this happened because I had changed the default port for Virtual Media in Configuration. Change back to 623 worked. (Likely firewall issue as in other cases I often use non-default port for vm)

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
I never found a solution :| Had to use a USB-stick.
Hey kroem,

I even got some steps from the support, that didn't work out.
See thread here linked below ... I had the same issue. Rolling back to prior IPMI FW resolved - if this issue still persists for you both, perhaps you could try ...