SM "super quiet" PSU's in an Intel case? Compatible?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
I debated putting this in DIY, Mods, please feel free to move if you feel it is appropriate.

I am at my wits end trying to quiet down a pair of 1600w Intel CRPS (I'm convinced there's a reason the chose this acronym!!) in my current project, an r2304LT2 quad-processor machine. When I updated the FRUSDR, everything quieted, except the PSU fans, which were clearly designed... Well... They coul blow all the paperwork off one side of my desk/workbench.

I still have a couple things I want to try (discovered one possibility right before I crashed last night, so I am not giving up yet... But am close to it!!) but am getting to where I'm willing to get a lot more DIY to make it work quietly!

So... This leads to my real question: has anyone ever used the Supermicro -SQ line in an Intel case? The dimensions are slightly larger (Intel: 73mm, SM at 76mm, not worried about length difference- about 10cm more), but I think I can probably make the PHYSICAL part fit. I found a reference that showed pin outs for SM, and they appeared to also line up-- but I will double check this again (and a third time with meters!) if nobody tells me I am completely nuts. ***The order of the pins seemed to line up-- whether the pins are the same size/format/dimension, I can't tell, as I can't seem to find any really good pics to check of the SQ line.

So... Anyone tried this or done it? Any better ideas? Am open to trying resistors as well, but was hoping to avoid if possible.

Re: load: to stay under 50%, was considering either the 920 or 1280w models.

Anyone?

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Haven't tried it but what I have done before is if I don't care about the PSU warranty pulled apart the PSU and manually replaced the fans with something a bit quieter.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I also experienced really loud Intel PSU fans after updating everything. In a 4 node chassis I have, before I updated, the PSUs were actually super quiet, after the update, the chassis fans are super quiet but the PSU fans are ridiculous.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
yes- I saw your post (ugh! Sorry!). I have pulled the last several updates (5 of them), and am going to be trying to roll back a few... /sigh *IF* I have any luck, will let you know what versions... if not, I've got diodes and resistors to play with on the fans... and just in case, a couple of fan options arriving Friday that I may be able to drop in and "engineer" into place if the soldering iron approach fails completely.

I'm wondering if we aren't both having the same problem, but on different platforms. /sigh

Must. Win. The. PSU. Noise. Battle.