SM PWS-920P-SQ: dim amber status light & chassis alarm

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
The status light on one of these PSUs glows amber when plugged in, but only dimly. When power switch is pressed, it stays dim amber while the second supply in the chassis switches to green, the system boots and the chassis alarm comes on (presumably because its sensing only one PSU?). Does a dim led have any significance other than "I'm Broken"? Kind of like how flashing green means improperly inserted? I had no luck finding a "guide" on colors, intensity, & flashing or no.

I've got a pair SM 826 Chassis (recently purchased "as is" via the local Facebook marketplace) each with dual 920P-SQ. The behavior for this one supply is the same in both chassis and in both PSU bays. Which leads me to believe the problem is with it specifically. But before I assume that its bad and buy another PSU (oh man, I had no idea the SQs cost so much more! At least for the 920w ones) I was wondering if the dimness of the LED has any diagnostic meaning other than "Replace Me".

Edit: So if I do need to replace it, I see on Ebay that I can get three of PWS-1K28P-SQ for not much more than a single PWS-920P-SQ. Since the PDB can accept the wider connector on the 1K28P, and its listed in the chassis manual as an option, is there any reason I couldn't use a pair of these instead for one chassis? Other than the fact that the system is even more ridiculously overpowered than before, that is. That way, I'd have a spare for each system.

Last edited: