SM PSU as to use on desktop case bec cheap and reliable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
With the hot-swap PSUs you need the power distribution board as the hot-swap modules typically provides a single voltage at high current and a secondary small power supply for the control circuitry plus some control lines. The power distribution board itself has the additional regulation for the other supply rails.

You can split the molex connectors coming out of the power supply to feed multiple drives just like you would with a desktop supply, it is common that 2 or more molex connectors are plugged into a backplane supporting 12 or even 24 drives.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Hi, I see the power distribution unit on ebay also. It's relatively inexpensive. Is there anyone selling the cable with lots of molex? I'm using a case that doesn't have backplane.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I would just get a pack of molex Y cables / splitters. There are tons of variants out there with molex or SATA power female outputs so you can mix-n-match as needed to get the final connectors you need.
Some random ones from first page on Amazon
Amazon.com: SIENOC Computer Molex 4 Pin Power Supply Y Splitter Cable - 2 Female to 1 Male (5 Pack): Home Audio & Theater
Amazon.com: StarTech.com PYO2LP4LSATA 12-Inch LP4 to 2x Latching SATA Adapter 4 Pin Molex to Dual SATA Y Splitter: Home Audio & Theater (to give you SATA power)

Your local microcenter/frys/canada computer/etc should ave them also, and you can see them in person to gauge build quality.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Yep - that would do the trick!
Can I confirm your answer to the second question? There are several strands (or is it called rails) and each strand give me approximately 2 or 3 molex, it's safe to use the Monoprice molex to sata splitter with each and every one of them? Assuming there is enough capacity of course.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Here's a link to the Supermicro Power Supply Cable list. The Power Distributors have the "PDB" prefix, and the columns in the chart list the number of connector types available.

As @Blinky 42 mentioned, the # of power connectors to the backplanes increase with drives support. 8 drive backplanes typically have 2x power connectors, 16 drive backplanes typically 4x connectors and 24 drive backplanes have 6x connectors.

You will often find the PDB-PT825-8824 at under $25 and that has 6x molex 4 pin HD connectors (I did a visual check on a unit I have at hand)

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
britinpdx, You're saying get PDBs that are made for 24 drives, and it gives you more molex. Each molex can accept the molex-sata cable I showed above? Right?

Thanks for confirming britinpdx, Blinky 42

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
- 1 PSU will work you don't need 2 even if the PDB can handle 2x inputs.
- you can use molex splitters but they MUST be the correct wire gauge (fire/melting/smoke could result)

Reactions: jang430

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I look forward to see what you end up doing.

I purchased a PDB and was going to do this too, but ultimately just got EVGA G2/3 PSUs instead :) saved me some time... you don't get full IPMI control without a SM PDB+PSU so there's that bonus if you're using a SM motherboard too :) I forget the cable name that goes from PDB to motherboard but it lets you manipulate power which can be really handy! For my home setup I didn't need it.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
I look forward to see what you end up doing.

I purchased a PDB and was going to do this too, but ultimately just got EVGA G2/3 PSUs instead :) saved me some time... you don't get full IPMI control without a SM PDB+PSU so there's that bonus if you're using a SM motherboard too :) I forget the cable name that goes from PDB to motherboard but it lets you manipulate power which can be really handy! For my home setup I didn't need it.
I am using Supermicro X9SCM-F, currently, using Seasonic PSU for desktop. I get IPMI.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Of course you can use IPMI, but you don't get 100% of what's in there without the connector from the PDB to the motherboard. (power "stuff")

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Hi, I see the power distribution unit on ebay also. It's relatively inexpensive. Is there anyone selling the cable with lots of molex? I'm using a case that doesn't have backplane.
What case are you planning to use? I'm interested to see how this plays out.

You can get Molex Splitters or build your own cable. 4 pin Molex cables are the easiest to make.. Especially If you use punchdown connectors like this. Just ensure that you get good 16/18 gauge wire.

PC Molex Standard IDE 4pin Pass Thru/Punch Down Power Connector | eBay

If this is going to be used anywhere noise is an issue, I'd recommend getting a 920SQ or 501P-1R Platinum PSU. They are quiet.