SM part found: SM pcie riser internal pcie slot - (Should card just hang free?)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
on my x10 system i just got in from ebay (sm sys - 6028U-TNRT+ ( but i think is abit customized version), it has 1x X8 pcie "Internal" pcie slot on the riser (all other slots on risers are normal).

EDIT/UPDATE: my exact sys is: SYS-6028U-E1CNRT+ (although the -TNRT i cite above, also needs this bracket/clip). Also, you can skip down the my bottom/last post if you want to see/info on the the actual correct part i found.

This internal slot is offset a bit towards the mid of the case such that no pcie card of any size will be able to reach the rear of the case (sm specs call this an "internal LP slot" on the riser). So i figure this is a good slot for my raid card.

My question is, should the card just be hanging, with its only support being the pcie slot itself? or am i prehaps missing some custom part that would screw down this card in some way? (im not so happy about the extra weight the 2x sff8087 cables will add) see picts below. (the card in question is the one with the green heatsink)

(this is my first experience with a slot like this on a riser, and as im trying to keep the system to just 1x cpu to keep power usage low, i cant use other cpu2 slots)

thanks

(the card in question is the one with the green heatsink)
IMG_4557.jpg IMG_4558.jpg IMG_4559.jpg IMG_4560.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
There is a part you can get to use as a retention bracket for them.

Reactions: james23

james23

Nov 18, 2014
awesome, thanks. If anyone knows the part or can point me to a sm matrix of parts like this, please do. I will update this thread if i find it myself. (unrelated, but i finally figured out from its IPMI today that the system is a: 6028U-E1CNRT+1 -SG007 )

EDIT:
I FOUND a pict of the piece i need (but still can find the part, nor info on this metal structure that the AOC attaches too) - see image below
The AOC that has this ressessed pcie slot is: AOC-2UR8N4-I2XT
and SM calls this a 1 internal PCI-E x8 3.0 slot,
Capteeeeure.JPGCa555pture.JPG

Its pretty hard finding detailed info on these SM sys-xxx parts (ie the various risers and AOCs , SM only puts out a single image for most). I spent the past week (while waiting for this sys to come in), trying to gather as much info as i could on all the various parts as ive done alot with SM, but just about always in building my w SM parts and using 2u's with LP cards, or 3u / 4u (never delt with risers really, till now- they are COOL!).

if anyone is interested ill be posting more info as i stress this system over in this thread:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ly-a-sas3-826el1-n4-nvme-4.22715/#post-212181

Last edited:

james23

Nov 18, 2014
I have been intouch with supermicro a few times over the past week, but they are having a hardtime finding (or even IDing) this piece.

(SM isnt even sure if this retainer clip is part of the chasis's kit or part of the AOC's kit), but they do say they are working on it.

If anyone has any info, please post here. I will update when i get final word from SM (or if i find the part).

thanks

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Supermicro support came through! it took about a week (it was a weird part to find), but this is the kit i need to order from supermicro RMA

(UPDATE: WRONG PART,see reply below) MCP-240-21904-0N-OEM (wrong)

as you can see from this pict SM support sent me, circled in red is exactly what ive been looking for.

will update with final price to get it here (im seeing out of stock prices ~50-70$ for the entire kit)

normally at this price (for entire kit) only to get that 1 little piece, i would prob skip buying it (not worth ~70$), however i really want to run this DP x10 system with only 1x CPU (to save on power / heat), so i will need this to be able to access the 2 or 3x PCIe slots i get with just 1x CPU. and ive put alot of time into this one missing piece so far, so part of me wants to just see it though :)

tks Patrick for pointing me in right direction.

smdarCapture.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Rain and i386

james23

Nov 18, 2014
crap, got the part in today (a little over 100$ for the entire structure, just to get the 1 pat i need). and its not there... the part sent only partially matches the SM provided CAD image. 4x different SM employees have been working on this and had confirmed that part no above is what i needed (but not one of them could physically check the item to see if what i need is there b4 ship, for some reason)

will update, but this is getting really frustrating as its going on 3 weeks and over 30x emails to SM, all for a recent server that is not close to EOL'd

(and supposedly they dont offer refunds on parts sent, but short of them resolving this, i will not be paying for this 100$ waste).

will update

james23

Nov 18, 2014
well GOOD NEWS. so it looks i should have opened a ticket with SM support from the start (or maybe its just hit or miss with SM, as i originally had called in and was given an email address for support which got me to the mess in posts above).

so I opened a ticket earlier today, and a few hours / replies later, the part was ID'd ! (see image attached). the tech said RMA will be contacting me about sending the part. so that is good.

I asked for a part number or any other info, and the support rep said that on this item there is none (although you can see something stamped on the part in image below).

eitherway, this IS THE PART! so if anyone in the future needs this part, best way is to open a ticket with SM support case, and attach this image. (below is an image SM support took/provided to me). it has to be pretty common, as i see alot of SM sys- that have their "Internal x8 PCIe Slot" spec'd out, thus you require this bracket to populate that slot. (and my SM sys was bought new in mid-2017 , so its not old)

(btw, i am still waiting now over 1 week for SM RMA dept to "get approval" for my 108$ refund/return ship label on the prior incorrect chasis kit SM email support had me order).

either-way, im happy to finally find the part, and hopefully it ends up making it to me.

bracket part.jpg

james23

Nov 18, 2014
yes, SM did send me the part, but i cant recall if i had to pay the 108$ or if i got a refund.

in the end, the pcie cards that go in this slot and use this bracket (i think) are custom supermicro and need to be a tad unusual size vs standard pcie cards. so i had to use the bracket "backwards" and (i think) put a plastic standoff at the rear of the card to support it (and i think i had to use something to extend the screw holes of this unique bracket , outward a bit) .

perhaps the card your want to use here will be different and it will fit exactly (i cant recall 100% but i think its unusual vs normal pcie cards).

see picture attached. (pict is from when i installed it)

the server (and lsi card in this slot, with this bracket) has been running great since this post.

lmk any ? , which i had better info / picts for you.

(edit; the more i think about it, i think the plastic stand off was a temporary thing i was using during testing, and once i got the bracket i remove it)

33233Capture.JPGC34234apture.JPG234Capture.JPGdfeCapture.JPGCaptur3333e.JPGcard.JPG