SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yes, for standard form factor, non-proprietary boards. Power wise, they have right type and number of connectors. The seller seems to be selling more than one configuration from batch to batch though, so its possible that you'd need extensions for the power cables depending on the board you use.

They will fit standard form factor boards up through EATX. EE-ATX will also work if you don't have the rear drive bay installed. Proprietary form factors are probably hit and miss, and you'd probably loose some functionality. For example, WIO boards (like X11SSW-F & etc.) will fit in this chassis, but you won't be able to use the PCIE slots because they won't line up with the rear window openings.
The only time I've needed PSU extension cables was with Single CPU boards as they tend to be smaller than EATX and EE-ATX.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Yes I have and still no joy. Did it on a X10SRL-F. Both went kinda wonky. After the update ipmi refused to save any setting until I unplugged the system, counted slowly to 10 and then plugged it back in. After updating the BIOS Windows Server wouldn't load. It went into automatic repair and that didn't work. Only option it gave me was to shut the system down. Once again unplugging the system then plugging it back in fixed it. But still no iKVM. I'm going to work on it some more tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it resolved. I really need KVM.
Yikes! Was this a recently released update? I haven't updated mine since last fall, maybe I need to leave them alone!

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yikes! Was this a recently released update? I haven't updated mine since last fall, maybe I need to leave them alone!
I read about the 3.4 BIOS problems after I had already updated one of mine. Left the others alone. If it ain't broke...........

Still haven't gotten the KVM problem resolved. Need to get back on it.

• Sad
Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Yes, for standard form factor, non-proprietary boards. Power wise, they have right type and number of connectors. The seller seems to be selling more than one configuration from batch to batch though, so its possible that you'd need extensions for the power cables depending on the board you use.

They will fit standard form factor boards up through EATX. EE-ATX will also work if you don't have the rear drive bay installed. Proprietary form factors are probably hit and miss, and you'd probably loose some functionality. For example, WIO form factor boards (like X11SSW-F & etc.) will fit in this chassis, but you won't be able to use the PCIE slots because they won't line up with the rear window openings.
@vintagehardware , his might be something you already knew, but just in case...

I forgot to add that since these chassis come with a SAS expander backplane, you'll need either a motherboard with an onboard HBA/RAID controller, or add an HBA/RAID controller as an add-in card. This particular type of chassis backplane can't connect to motherboard SATA ports, although it will work with SATA disks once you connect the backplane to an HBA/RAID card. If you don't have a motherboard already, there are probably Supermicro X11 and Epyc options available that have onboard HBA/RAID controllers if that's something you'd be interested in.

Reactions: vintagehardware

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Yep, not worth it to convert to WIO. Now if you already have a WIO board, great! If you want stand height PCI, it may just be easier to move to a 3U chassis (e.g. SC836).

anemoiac

Jan 7, 2021
Thanks, that gives me something to look for. I haven't bought a mobo yet, so I do have some flexibility there.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
The only concern I would have with a WIO motherboard is future upgradability. I tend to keep chassis the longest of all of my lab equipment, so with that in mind, chassis that take standard board formats (Flex-ATX/ATX/E-ATX, etc.) are more appealing for me.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Yes, to me too. i ordered new 826 chassis from Supermicro on 07.12.2021, and still have not received it because of these all global shortages..
Same here, just picked up a nearly brand new off-lease 826 for $500 shipped after tax on eBay recently. It had new HDD trays w/dummies, screws, air shroud, 2x 920SQ's, 2x SAS12 cables for the E1 backplane, etc. Still had plastic on the rack handles too. Basically everything but the 2x 2.5" rear drive bays. Leadtime on new chassis is ridiculous right now! I was quoted 16 more weeks on a short-depth chassis that I've had on order since the beginning of the year. :-(

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
if you have some tips for me, then you're welcome.. i'm using ebay very rarely.

and with NVME hybrid backplane too?
bpn-sas3-826a-n4

direct variant

shows up regularly - I've sourced 2 for about 100USD each as "for parts only" "untested". Seller's comments were they had no way to test. YMMV
so far they've been running great.

bpn-sas3-826el1-n4

expander variant

the swap is easy but you do need the metal frame on the backplane to mount it in an 826.