SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LoneGeek

Sep 13, 2020
Looks like the lower price one has a backplane that supports 8 3.5" SAS-12 plus 4 NVMe
I doublechecked my two lower price ones. Both have a BPN-SAS3-826EL1 backplane (supports 12 3.5" SAS-12).
Both look like new.

Last edited:
Reactions: BShoppy

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Buying from this seller can be an adventure. I'm guessing here, but based on my experiences they have at times:

- Reused photos of an item (like a chassis) that don't necessarily represent the variant being sold. Sometimes, they remember to note the difference (i.e. There's no rear cage even though its in the picture), but often they don't. and/or
- Post photos of a representative sample of an item they have a batch of, but not every item in the batch is configured the same. and/or
- They just don't look super close at each item and they sent you something thinking its something else.

But, here's why I keep going back...if I get MORE than what I thought I was getting, its "Woo hoo! Bonus!" But, if I got less than what I ordered, they fixed it as soon as I told them and they always followed up to ensure I was satisfied. Plus, they often take what I think are crazy low Best Offers.

There are downsides of course:

- When you don't get what you are expecting, you have to follow up and wait for the extra/different bits.
- Pricing is super inconsistent. Sometimes there will be two listings for the same item with wildly varying prices and you have to poke around their listings to find them. I think of it as a treasure hunt, but to many its just going to be aggravating.
- Sometimes things are priced just stupid high, including their practice of jacking up prices on anything that seems to be selling well. You can get around this with Best Offers to a certain extent, but not when it comes to shipping. It seems like there's someone there that prices shipping for everything at $5 (US) or $15 (US), and another that goes nuts at like $50+. Or maybe its the same person who prices based on how they're feeling at the time? Last time I bought from them, shipping on an matx motherboard was $15 while the chassis I bought (complete with power supply and trays) was only $5.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Buying from this seller can be an adventure. I'm guessing here, but based on my experiences they have at times:

- Reused photos of an item (like a chassis) that don't necessarily represent the variant being sold. Sometimes, they remember to note the difference (i.e. There's no rear cage even though its in the picture), but often they don't. and/or
- Post photos of a representative sample of an item they have a batch of, but not every item in the batch is configured the same. and/or
- They just don't look super close at each item and they sent you something thinking its something else.

But, here's why I keep going back...if I get MORE than what I thought I was getting, its "Woo hoo! Bonus!" But, if I got less than what I ordered, they fixed it as soon as I told them and they always followed up to ensure I was satisfied. Plus, they often take what I think are crazy low Best Offers.

There are downsides of course:

- When you don't get what you are expecting, you have to follow up and wait for the extra/different bits.
- Pricing is super inconsistent. Sometimes there will be two listings for the same item with wildly varying prices and you have to poke around their listings to find them. I think of it as a treasure hunt, but to many its just going to be aggravating.
- Sometimes things are priced just stupid high, including their practice of jacking up prices on anything that seems to be selling well. You can get around this with Best Offers to a certain extent, but not when it comes to shipping. It seems like there's someone there that prices shipping for everything at $5 (US) or $15 (US), and another that goes nuts at like $50+. Or maybe its the same person who prices based on how they're feeling at the time? Last time I bought from them, shipping on an matx motherboard was $15 while the chassis I bought (complete with power supply and trays) was only $5.
Honest incompetence. :p

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
btw: I ordered yesterday and it scheduled for deliver tomorrow. Hopefully Fed Ex won't screw it up but I'm not holding my breath.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yeah, we'd hate to "see" you turning blue.
I have done so on occasion. I hate to give up and have turned blue trying to find a solution to a problem that had no solution. Right now I'm trying to get KVM working on my X10 boards. Hope this isn't going to be a turn blue occasion.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Have you updated the BMC + BIOS yet to get html5 kvm?
Yes I have and still no joy. Did it on a X10SRL-F. Both went kinda wonky. After the update ipmi refused to save any setting until I unplugged the system, counted slowly to 10 and then plugged it back in. After updating the BIOS Windows Server wouldn't load. It went into automatic repair and that didn't work. Only option it gave me was to shut the system down. Once again unplugging the system then plugging it back in fixed it. But still no iKVM. I'm going to work on it some more tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it resolved. I really need KVM.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine just arrived and it has an SAS2 backplane. Contacted the seller and hopefully we can work something out. On the plus side. it has 24 caddies.

Madhelp

Feb 7, 2013
Mine just arrived and it has an SAS2 backplane. Contacted the seller and hopefully we can work something out. On the plus side. it has 24 caddies.
Did the extra caddies come inside the chassis or did they send you a different chassis all together?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Sorry, brain fart, make that 12 caddies. :p

Yea, it's obviously not the chassis I ordered but it is in excellent condition.

Reactions: Madhelp

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
So grateful for this thread! I got one of the last batch. Made an offer for 100 (plus the shipping) and thankfully they accepted. :)

Notes:
-has the sas3 el1 backplane
-has the rear 2.5" drive cage+trays
-rear backplane cables plug in to the expander on the backplane
-came with SQ psus

Probably going to upgrade the rear caddy to sas3 and also the psu's so if anyone is interested in those items hit me up.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I took some time but I'm happy to report that the seller resolved the backplane issue to my complete satisfaction.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Can this work with X11 or EPYC boards?
Yes, for standard form factor, non-proprietary boards. Power wise, they have right type and number of connectors. The seller seems to be selling more than one configuration from batch to batch though, so its possible that you'd need extensions for the power cables depending on the board you use.

They will fit standard form factor boards up through EATX. EE-ATX will also work if you don't have the rear drive bay installed. Proprietary form factors are probably hit and miss, and you'd probably loose some functionality. For example, WIO form factor boards (like X11SSW-F & etc.) will fit in this chassis, but you won't be able to use the PCIE slots because they won't line up with the rear window openings.

Last edited: