SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just completed my SAS3 build out using this box. Found a deal on 3 brand new Seagate HP branded 4TB 12G HD's for $41.41 each with free shipping to complete the box. Seller was close so I got them the next day.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
update: so I snagged those 2 that popped up. Was almost sketched out the packaging, big hole in one of the sides but everything was fine. Oddly enough they're identical except one has the SAS3 backplane and another has the SAS2. Both have the rear 2.5 cut out, and SQ PSUs. Was hoping to get double SAS3 backplanes in case I want to do something with 12G disks in both. Gonna see if the seller has one to swap out for me.

Reactions: Fritz

RacerX

Nov 30, 2018
Thanks LoneGeek for the deal on the trays I tested them out on my SM 2u and 4u servers and they work fine, good value.

Reactions: LoneGeek

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Just got my 2 servers in and got SAS3 backplane on both as well as the rear 2x 2.5" hotswap backplane (including 1x caddy each). Seller was even nice enough to refund me for the combined shipping costs so my out the door total with tax and everything was only $313 for both. Great deal. Thanks Fritz and mmo!

Reactions: frogtech and Fritz

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Just got my 2 servers in and got SAS3 backplane on both as well as the rear 2x 2.5" hotswap backplane (including 1x caddy each). Seller was even nice enough to refund me for the combined shipping costs so my out the door total with tax and everything was only $313 for both. Great deal. Thanks Fritz and mmo!
That's lucky, and so random! When did you place your order?

May 4, 2015
2 more available, let's go STH!

Ehh, I bought the last one I think. I've been eying these to put another system together for messing around with from other parts, and this brings me down to just needing a cpu at this point. Or use my older e5 v1 board

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
What kind of condition are these arriving in for ya'll? All SAS3 expander backplanes and the rear 2.5" cage? I'm bummed that one of mine didn't have the SAS3 expander or cages, although the seller refunded me $90 for that lil issue.

But more than anything was the fact one of the chassis is kind of warped. It's not really noticeable unless you look at it from the rear and the little bit of resistance when you slide it into the rack since every angle isn't quite squared up. Another had a bent lid in the rear. Not deal breakers, but just annoying. The 2 I ordered were just kinda tossed in a box with the foam on the bottom and top that you would find in a brand new server box, not the heat-expanding foam like the inset foam.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
What kind of condition are these arriving in for ya'll? All SAS3 expander backplanes and the rear 2.5" cage? I'm bummed that one of mine didn't have the SAS3 expander or cages, although the seller refunded me $90 for that lil issue.

But more than anything was the fact one of the chassis is kind of warped. It's not really noticeable unless you look at it from the rear and the little bit of resistance when you slide it into the rack since every angle isn't quite squared up. Another had a bent lid in the rear. Not deal breakers, but just annoying. The 2 I ordered were just kinda tossed in a box with the foam on the bottom and top that you would find in a brand new server box, not the heat-expanding foam like the inset foam.
I noticed that the cut and paste from Supermicro's website said it had a SAS 2 backplane. This is why I didn't order another one. But still, $90 back isn't a bad deal given how cheap they were.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I noticed that the cut and paste from Supermicro's website said it had a SAS 2 backplane. This is why I didn't order another one. But still, $90 back isn't a bad deal given how cheap they were.
You're definitely right. For this I went off the pics since I figured they took a pic of one and checked others that ended up being identical. It probably doesn't matter, but all of my hardware is 12G capable so I wanted it to be consistent, especially since you can cascade that rear 2.5" cage to the backplane instead of having to hook up another HBA.

Reactions: Fritz