slow transfers over 10gb - maybe system / setup issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Burksdb

Oct 23, 2014
Hey guys so i have some extra hardware i am playing around with right now and having some issues.

I am testing 10gb file transfer speeds and they are way lower then im wanting / expecting

Here is my test setup

Server:
Asus Z8na-d6c
dual L5520's
16gb ram
Intel X520 10gb card connected over a DAC to another Intel X520 card
2x M1015 -flashed to 9211 IR mode - ive tried other nas setups with IT mode as well
Per M1015 i have 8 120gb ssds in raid 0 per the cards bios
giving me 2 separate raid 0 arrays totaling around 880GB ea and a total of around 1.5 tb inside windows.

I am running Server 2012 R2 and have setup a storage pool combining the 2 raid 0 arrays.​

Ive tested with freenas and nas4free as well with pretty much the same results only difference is i had the cards in IT mode with full passthru to the os.

was thinking about trying to setup everything inside a normal linux distro but at this point pretty sure ive got some other issue.

Willing to try anything to see if i can figure this out with the hardware i have sitting here

I can provide any further information you guys need.

I have tried freenas and nas4free setting up a software raid 0 across all 16 drives and highest i have seen is around 460 MB/s with the M1015s flash to it mode for full drive passthru.

Burksdb

Oct 23, 2014
Just wanted to stop by and give an update

I did all the prep work to get the server running at max speed but forgot about the drives i would be sending data from. Fired up a couple other streams from my desktop across a few different ssd's and it scaled pretty well.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Not sure what the issue is...1700mb/s IS two fully saturated 10gbit nics what numbers were you expecting? If you want to try another test run a ram disk on the two systems and share the ram drive and copy and paste a file from one to the other. Or even better run diskspd to the unc path of the shared ram drive (ie \\"ip address of ram drive server"\A (or whatever drive letter you assigned to the ram drive ex \\192.168.1.2\A\test.dat) that works great for testing in windows.