Slow rsync performance moving files from one zpool to another with SSH (unraid)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
Here is another set of ssh cipher benchmarks:
I would not rely on this benchmark. It is a post from 2010, and since then a lot has changed in cipher implementation. Including the fact that on some systems it is possible to take advantage of hardware acceleration. Performance can also vary from system to system, so it's best to do a quick, own test.
With only 6 enabled ciphers, key authentication enabled, and the key added to ssh-agent, it should take only a few minutes.

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
I would not rely on this benchmark. It is a post from 2010, and since then a lot has changed in cipher implementation. Including the fact that on some systems it is possible to take advantage of hardware acceleration. Performance can also vary from system to system, so it's best to do a quick, own test.
With only 6 enabled ciphers, key authentication enabled, and the key added to ssh-agent, it should take only a few minutes.
Yeah, but the fastest ciphers in this test are not enabled in (my) today's ssh installations.

I don't think ssh is using much if any hardware acceleration. I never quite understood why openssl throughput benchmarks are so much faster than ssh.

I like the idea of just hacking up ssh to have your own NULL cipher :)

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
Yeah, but the fastest ciphers in this test are not enabled in (my) today's ssh installations.

I don't think ssh is using much if any hardware acceleration. I never quite understood why openssl throughput benchmarks are so much faster than ssh.

I like the idea of just hacking up ssh to have your own NULL cipher :)
IIRC SSH used to have null cipher. Weak ciphers are disabled today for a good reason.
You can try to use rsync over stunnel, which uses SSL. Apparently it is possible: Stunnel/Rsync - charlesreid1

Reactions: unwind-protect