slow copy over gigabit ethernet

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
I have observed something strange.

I copied some files over AC1900 wireless router from my NAS and it gets around 20 MB/s (megabytes per second) read performance. Plugging the gigabit ethernet cable in (using a apple adapter because this is on a mac), I get about 10 MB/s. This is so strange! The theoretical max for gigabit ethernet is around 100 MB/s? I'm not anywhere near that. The NAS is plugged into a dumb switch which is where the laptop is also plugged into.

So why am I getting faster speeds on wireless than on a gigabit ethernet?

TheHaughom

Oct 28, 2015
Reboot the switch?
I've got a Cisco SMB switch which occasionally sets 100mbit access to my computer. Rebooting the switch brings it back up to 1 gigabit.
Alternatively connect PC to the router and see if the same thing happens there.

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
Perhaps you are connecting at 100Mb vs 1Gb. I don't have a mac handy but see if there is a way to check connection speed. It could be something as simple as a bad cable with only two good pair vs 4 needed for gigabit connections.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
You guys are both right! When I plugged the cable with the USB adapter on the switch it shows up as a 100 Mps connection!

Stupid Apple accessories.