Slow ATTO benchmark performance, =>1MB xfer size

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

6BQ5

Feb 25, 2020
I have 3 x 600 GB drives in my ProLiant ML350p Gen 8 server configured as a RAID 0 array. RAID 0 is suppose to give the fastest R/W performance and I wanted to try it just to see it. I understand the lack of fault tolerance, etc.

I used ATTO to benchmark the array. R/W performance steadily increases to 1.8 GB/s write and 2.8 GB/s read until ATTO increases the transfer block size to 1 MB. Then I get a huge drop to 668 MB/s write and 690 MB/s read. All tests after that stay at the same transfer rate.

A screen shot is attached to this message.

I also don't notice any performance difference between a 2 x 600 GB configuration and 3 x 600 GB configuration.

Why is that? What could be causing such odd performance? I ask especially because I would like to purchase more drives for the system but don't want to purchase more slow drives.

This machines doesn't run anything mission critical so to speak. It's my sandbox to play and learn.

Thanks for your help! :)

-=- Boris S.

Attachments

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Looks like some caching is going on. Presumably to the caches on the disks. Check the "bypass write cache" to prevent it. You could also play with the file size to verify that.

Reactions: 6BQ5