Slingbox HD or other?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Been working on the site basically until midnight every night lately, which means I am not watching TV in my living room anymore. With hockey and basketball playoff season upon us (although the Sharks are out already) I would really like to have a HD feed to one of my monitors or iPad.

Thinking Slingbox Pro-HD unless someone has a better thought. My basic requirements are that I want at least 720HD output to various PCs and my iPad/ Android devices. Need to be able to control the Comcast HD set top box and stream output to the network.

Anyone tried something similar or have a better option?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Going to have a review of a Z77 mITX board for a HTPC soon! Pretty excited. Still thinking about the slingbox though.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Can the set top box not stream channels ?
My Satellite receiver (linux box) can stream HD channels directly, I can remotely log in and have an EPG or stream movies of its HDD
TV can be on one channel, and can stream different channels

My other hobby that I've helped develop from humble beginnings

apnar

Mar 5, 2011
I'm a huge fan of the HDHomerun series from SiliconDust. They are more network tuners than they are slingbox type devices but there is some overlap. Depending on your TV source (cable TV via cable card or over-the-air) there are various options. I have them routing through MythTV (Mythbuntu running as a VM) to use them as full on DVRs but there are options to stream directly to clients without intermediate software. I then use Kodi (new name for XBMC) as the front-ends giving me access to all the stuff on my NAS and live TV from one interface.