Skylake Xeon, why not better graphics?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

snakyjake

Jan 22, 2014
Why didn't the new Intel Skylake Xeon E3-1200 v5 LGA series get better graphics?

I see they have Intel's HD Graphics P530 (GT2), but why not GT3 or GT4?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
This is for a server... no real need for great graphics.

And if you are thinking of using it for a workstation. use a decent graphics card (or 4).

Chris

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So technically today was the E3 V5 workstation launch not the server launch. Very low support on recent E3 launches which is why there is not much press on it. If you look to big sites, very few even covered the launch.

Here's the deal - if you are getting Xeon v. i7 for a workstation for ECC, good chance you are using a Quadro or FirePro for application support anyway.

In microservers, there is some argument that you could use this for GPU transcode/ VDI, but not really ideal.

Pretty much the E3 line is getting gobbled (save the new more mobile like SKUs) by the E5-1600 at the high end (more cores, memory, PCIe and good clocks), and Broadwell-DE at the low-end.

Broadwell-DE Xeon D-1520 is 4C/ 8T 2.2-2.6GHz comes in at a similar price to a 4C/ 4T 3.0GHz-3.5GHz E3-1220 V5 system. You lose single threaded performance, but get some multi-threaded back from HT on the Xeon D. You also get a much lower TDP, more memory capacity (RDIMMs not UDIMMs) and dual 10Gb NICs without having to even add a PCIe card. There are also more PCIe lanes on the Xeon D and no need for a separate PCH which the Xeon E3 still needs.

My sense is that E3 has seen a reduction in prominence in the Intel lineup hence why others have pinged me asking about when and what was launched today.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Broadwell-DE Xeon D-1520 is 4C/ 8T 2.2-2.6GHz comes in at a similar price to a 4C/ 4T 3.0GHz-3.5GHz E3-1220 V5 system.
In the US maybe, but here in the UK (and, from looking about, in most of the EU as well) availability of the xeon-D systems it akin to that of rocking horse poo and prices are still unreasonably high. The only D1520 system I've seen in the retail channel is the X10SDV-4C-TLN2F which is still at over £400 and thus more expensive than an E3 board and CPU (and if you only cared about ECC support you could save yourself over £100 by picking a pentium or i3). If you want the "free" 10GbE you're restricted only to the 8 core models at twice the price (X10SDV-F 8C/no 10GbE is £750, X10SDV-F 8C/with 10GbE an eye-watering £820).

Those out there who'd like a xeon-D in an ATX or mATX format don't seem to be catered for either. To me it seems like intel is killing off the E3 range before its replacement is ready, I suspect because they don't want people buying cheap socketed systems any more. Grumble, mutter.

Reactions: HellDiverUK

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Based on everything seen so far, iris pro (eDRAM) Xeon E3 are coming, but they will be BGA only: soldered to boards. I've only seen the following 4C desktop releases in any slides etc: 4+2 and 4+4e BGA (later).

Actually going by the skylake reviews it seems that due to the shape and area of the dies the 1151 socket is not capable of giving enough space on top for the edram on 4 core models. I think its because the main part of skylake is more square vs broadwell was rectangular.

Last edited:

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
And yeah, some of us believe that sockets are on the way out for the 'normal' consumer lines, writing has been on the wall awhile and AMD is dying off so fully operational monopoly powers activate.

They can push all the enthusiast/upgrader types into the 2011/"extreme"/E5 class cpus. E5 and E7 might be blending a bit more too with purley (skylake EP/EX platforms) looks like they intend lots of different options along with 6 channel ram being standard.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
And yeah, some of us believe that sockets are on the way out for the 'normal' consumer lines, writing has been on the wall awhile and AMD is dying off so fully operational monopoly powers activate.

They can push all the enthusiast/upgrader types into the 2011/"extreme"/E5 class cpus. E5 and E7 might be blending a bit more too with purley (skylake EP/EX platforms) looks like they intend lots of different options along with 6 channel ram being standard.
this has happened in non consumer and no server industry.
all terminal/sale/kiosk are using non-socket solution and minimized space solutions. they cramp-up into smaller than mini-itx :D. this reduces cost and sell lower among competitor.

I amseeing remarkable achievement to minimize board size and cost :D.
only one drawback, something goes wrong -> replace the board.

they use socket on development board.

I am getting to like SoC embedded style without socket due on rare replacing cpu. I always replace the whole motherboard.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I am getting to like SoC embedded style without socket due on rare replacing cpu. I always replace the whole motherboard.
Yeah, it's the computer industry: by the time I need to replace a cpu, it's going to be easier, probably cheaper, and almost certainly better performing to replace the cpu+mobo than to replace just the cpu. It should cost less in general to make/store/track/ship one box than two boxes, and should save money to skip the (mechanically complex) socket.