Skt 2011 board for 12 DDR3 RDIMM and E5v2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
Hi All

I took my old dual Xeon X5660 setup out of service when I built my Threadripper machine last summer, but I was hoping for some advice on finding a more modern setup to use the older memory in, I have 18 sticks of 8GB Samsung DDR3 (144GB) and I'm looking for a motherboard that will let me use ideally 12 to 16 of them in a standard E-ATX form factor (not the non-standard enhanced extended ATX from SM for example!).

I think the most modern setup I'm going to be able to find for this is a dual socket E5 v2 board and I've been looking at the ASrock EP2C602-4L/D16 which is about £270 here in UK.

The RAM I've got sitting here is Samsung 8GB 2Rx4 PC3 10600R (M393B1K70CH0)

The CPU's I'm looking at are basically any E5v2 with at least 8 cores, most likely the E5-2640v2

Other than probably needing to give the board a BIOS update - can anyone see any potential gotchas with that combination of board/memory/cpu - or have better thoughts on the choice of motherboard.

Rackmount kit is not an option unfortunately so board will need to be of a standard type

System will not be a 24x7 jobby, it's just for development work (I need 4 VM's with approximately 24 to 32GB of RAM each) - clock speed isn't that important - but need at least 16 cores total.

Also planning to use a 750w Seasonic Focus Plus PSU - I'm assuming this will be ok unless I go for the really high TDP CPUs (it has dual 8 pin EPS connectors)

Many thanks!