SK Hynix PE3110 960GB M.2 SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Hmmm...

Anyone know how well these might perform as the datastore for VM guests? Considering putting a mirrored pair into FreeNAS, and then mounting it via iSCSI to 2-3 Proxmox nodes. Though 1 TB is probably far more than I'd need.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I think the price is "good" for 1TB SSD but it's not exactly a high performing drive by any stretch of the imagination.

And, sadly, at this time it's hard to add more than a couple without spending a boat load :(

Cheap, 24-48 bay chassis... now that'd be awesome, and their lower performing level wouldn't really matter in larger arrays.

my 02

@BlueLineSwinger if you can swing it, and have the setup I'd go with 4x SAS3 800GB HGST drives, much much higher performing.

Reactions: BlueLineSwinger

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@Patrick totally missed it's 100mm good call on that!

I'd bite if it was $250 TBH, for that capacity on my desktop :D :D

Reactions: Patrick

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
@BlueLineSwinger if you can swing it, and have the setup I'd go with 4x SAS3 800GB HGST drives, much much higher performing.
Good to know, but I don't think that'd work out for me without some juggling and a new HBA. My X10SL7's on-board HBA is limited to SAS2, and it's full anyways (along with most of the SATA). Meanwhile, all the PCIe slots sit there twiddling their thumbs.

thy.flesh.consumed

Mar 30, 2017
I'm looking to buy 1TB SSD for my virtual machines in VMWare workstation. I was looking at Plextor M8PE 1TB HHHL (MLC, 768TB endurance, PCIe 4x adapter with heatsink), but this also looks tempting for almost $100 less. Any advice on Plextor 1TB M8PE vs this SK Hynix PE3110 960GB?

Savant

Mar 15, 2017
I personally have 2 of these I have been playing with in my proxmox host. I have had a heck of a time getting consistent performance out of them. I going to try them in a SM system this weekend to see if its maybe my Dell that is the issue. I've tried direct pass-through, zpool mirror and ext3 mirrors.

One thing, I would HIGHLY suggest getting some type of heatsink on them. They run pretty warm once under load and as the temps rise the performance drops hard. Between the length @ 110mm and being a double sided m.2 drive, chips on both sides of the drive I've only found one adapter with a heatsink that would fit them, but at $70+ each I wasn't willing to try. I have some generic heatsinks on the way I'm planning to use myself.

Savant

Mar 15, 2017
Sadly I haven't. My order for heat sinks hasn't arrived yet and I've just been swamped with work. Hoping to be able to do a bit more testing this weekend without the heat sinks.

Also I think I am going to try vmware, see if things are any different. I really like the idea of zfs on m2 drives, snap shot ability is something I've gotten quite used to.

@Savant, ever get a chance to perform any testing?

Savant

Mar 15, 2017
If that price drop holds I'll be picking up at least 2 more as spare and trying a larger ZFS pool.

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
Are these (the PE3110) suitable for use as a SLOG? I realize it is waaay more space than is usually needed, but it has PLP and a 1.3 DWPD. While the write speed isn't the best, it seems hard to beat at that price point. I bought one that should be here tomorrow, and am debating whether or not to buy a few more to use as a pool instead of just a SLOG.

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
Are these (the PE3110) suitable for use as a SLOG? I realize it is waaay more space than is usually needed, but it has PLP and a 1.3 DWPD. While the write speed isn't the best, it seems hard to beat at that price point. I bought one that should be here tomorrow, and am debating whether or not to buy a few more to use as a pool instead of just a SLOG.
how are you mounting the drives, if i may ask?

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
how are you mounting the drives, if i may ask?
It occurs to me you may have been asking about the physical drive mounting rather than the interface. If I end up making a pool I don't think an adapter + the 110mm can physically fit in a normal 2.5" bay drive sled, so I'm not sure outside of mounting on a card or some sort of Franken-drive sled.