SK Hynix Lot of 2 16GB PC4-2133P $56 (DEAD)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Great timing! I was just sitting down to find RAM for a recent motherboard purchase.

Bonus! Its even on my board's Approved Memory List. Not that I'd necessarily let that stop me, but its nice to find something thats actually tested for my hardware for once :p

Reactions: semidetached

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Got mine yesterday. 2 Lots/4 sticks total. Packed well, and came out of the anti-static bag looking brand new. Put them in a new build destined to be a desktop: Fujitsu D3348-B23 Motherboard (Single Socket C612) & E5-2680 v4 CPU.

I ran Memtest86 (free) on default settings (all tests x 4 passes) and got one ECC corrected error on Test 13 (the Hammer Test).

I'm not a RAM expert, but from Google and the Memtest86 troubleshooting page ( PassMark MemTest86 - Memory Diagnostic Tool - Troublingshooting Memory Errors ) Test 13 errors are often indicators of potential issues with chip/module design, rather than an isolated module failure. But, then they go on to say that Test 13 tests forsomething that almost never happens in the wild and the first of the three recommended mitigation plans is "Do Nothing" (followed by replacement and using ECC).

So, I'm not sure what to think/do? One the one hand, I have an error. On the other hand, it seems like they are saying these are OK to ignore in most situations? Is it worthwhile to run more passes with this setup, maybe swap module positions, or dig up a different system to test these in? Or should I just "Do Nothing" and "Use ECC"? Other thoughts?

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
I just got my 2 sets yesterday as well. Packaging wasn't all that great for me, but can't complain for the price.

One of the dimms was showing up some character corruption coming from the SPD data when displaying the model string and was not getting detected properly. I can only assume other data coming from the SPD was also corrupted since changing slots didn't make a difference. Luckily, cleaning up some debris around the SPD eeprom seem to have solved that for now.

I'm about to start a few rounds of memtest to see how it goes.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I'm about to start a few rounds of memtest to see how it goes.
I'd be interested in how your testing goes. I did a swap with another system that has an ASRock X99 motherboard. The Samsung RDIMMs that were in that system are on the vendor tested list for both boards, and tested OK in each. The SK Hynix wasn't on the vendor list for the ASrock board though, and in that system both windows and linux boot-looped or froze during boot. So, I guess that didn't prove much oher than that the original Fujitsu board can test OK with other RAM.

Good find on the SPD fix, I think I'll take a closer look at mine just in case.

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
So the x99 board will boot with rdimm but not the 16Gb in this thread. It does boot with some old 4Gb. But only half ass as soon as you put more than two Rdimms in the board boot test loop hangs and won’t continue. So 8Gb total.

Also if you wish.
You can do the All Core Turbo unlock on the board bios . It has my 2630 v3 running at 3.2. It reflects that the turbo is unlocked on the board but it doesn't turbo past processor turbo set by intel.

It does seem to open the old processor up a bit more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Markess and Marsh

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
No problems after a full day of memtest! all good.
I had no idea that some X99 boards out there do support rdimms, learn something new every day.

Reactions: Markess

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I had no idea that some X99 boards out there do support rdimms, learn something new every day.

My experience is all Asrock X99 boards support ECC DDR4 RDIMM.
In 2017 -2019 , while DDr4 ram was very expensive,
it was highly desirable to use cheaper server ddr4 ram rather than desktop ddr4 ram.

I have 1 MSI board and 1 Gigabyte x99 board, both MSI and Gigabyte do not support server ECC RDIMM

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
So the x99 board will boot with rdimm but not the 16Gb in this thread. It does boot with some old 4Gb. But only half ass as soon as you put more than two Rdimms in the board boot test loop hangs and won’t continue. So 8Gb total.
I've noticed that EVGA doesn't really go in for publishing lists of compatible RAM and CPUs. I love their products, but their documentation can be a bit skimpy. I've had luck in the past getting answers from their customer support via email. If you need/want ECC for your boards, they may have a list of tested RAM they could share? FWIW, my X99 board didn't work with this RAM either, but it did with Samsung RDIMMs: 16GB M383A2G40DB0 and 8GB M393A1G40DB0. But, as noted above, my X99 board is ASRock, not EVGA.

No problems after a full day of memtest! all good.
Mine eventually passed as well. Each tested good individually and swapping their order in the memory slots did the trick in the Fujitsu board I'm using.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marsh

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
I forgot to mention that I tested the memory on a supermicro 10DAL-i running dual E5-2678 v3. All core turbo modded, but I think I'm going back to factory settings. I keep reading online how the power delivery of the supermicro boards isn't good enough for it.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I brought 2 pair from the same seller , different listing.
4 x 16gb tested overnight with memtest , 4 hours of prime95 testing using Asrock x99 board.

Attachments

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
If someone wants to use RDIMM on a x99 board, it will be good if the motherboard manufacturer announces officially their supporting. As I knew, the Chinese brands like Huananzhi does so. The regular famous motherboard brands do not.