Single-socket Skylake Happiness (was sadness)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jfeldt

Jul 19, 2015
Hey everyone, I am super pumped to finally see the Xeon scalable Skylake processors released, since I've been ancticipating them and the Purley platform for a few years now. I have been waiting to update my Gulftown workstation in the hopes of using a Purley replacement, but I am sad to see that there there is no replacement for the E5-16xxx single-socket processors yet. Does anyone know if those are coming, or point me to any rumor links (I understand those that know are probably under NDA)?

At the moment the dual-proc Skylakes are at a fairly high price premium compared to the E5-16xx V3/V4 for my intended use case (mostly Lightroom, with 6-8 highly clocked cores being ideal), so I'm debating using a Gold 5115 or Gold 5118 or just building a used eBay spite build on a 2687W v2 or 2690 v2 to tide me over...

Reactions: nfsden and Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If you do not need super high single core, the ebay V3/ V4 are great options. I was going to do a TR machine for myself, then I realized that I will end up -10 cores, lose PCIe lanes and the clocks I have are fine.

jfeldt

Jul 19, 2015
Hey Patrick, thanks so much for your reply! Yeah, I will be looking seriously at the older E5s, since they have the lanes and speed I need. I had hoped that the 10G functionality would be in the CPUs to take advantage of their leading-edge litho and existing cooling (you made a great point about how one of the great things of the E5s was pulling more into the CPU compared to Nehalem/Gulftown and before and now they are spinning more out again, compared to AMD, who are in consolidation mode), and that there would be more around omni-path, potential UPI to FPGAs, etc., but without that, it seems like the core meshiness and additional memory channels don't seem to add much for my relatively lower core count desires. It does seem silly to wait all this time though and still see the E5s not drop much in price, so I'll try to sit on my W3690 for a few more months to see what happens. Any interest in creating a single-socket workstation state-of-the-union or comparison story? Something like generations of E5-16xxx, E3, Scalable Skylake, etc. compared to each other? I've been making my own comparisons, but it would be great to get your and others' take :)

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
If you do not need super high single core, the ebay V3/ V4 are great options. I was going to do a TR machine for myself, then I realized that I will end up -10 cores, lose PCIe lanes and the clocks I have are fine.
The v3/v4 don't have too many good deals from what I've seen.

jfeldt

Jul 19, 2015
I agree, I looked and didn't many V3/V4 that had high clockspeeds for a good price. It looks like DDR4 is much more expensive than DDR3 right now, so even though it's a bummer to go with something so old and power consuming I am strongly leaning towards a 2690 V2 or 2687W V2 based system.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Spent sometime reading through what chips were available.

Basically if you want a 2 proc setup there really aren't any chips that seems suitable for the workstation.

Where are the equivalent of the i9 chips. It's annoying that we still can't get an i9 chip that supports ECC memory.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
I also have been waiting for Purley for a build for a friend that I wanted to do and have been highly dissapointed by the lack of a Single Socket model that are low core count, high frequency, and affordable. I recently hear that according to very old Roadmaps, some Xeons were supposed to use the LGA 2066 platform, so maybe the models we want will be there.
Another thing that would dissapoint me even further is if after all the wait, I'l end up settling for a E5 16xxv4 for the build. May as well have done so some months ago...

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I also have been waiting for Purley for a build for a friend that I wanted to do and have been highly dissapointed by the lack of a Single Socket model that are low core count, high frequency, and affordable. I recently hear that according to very old Roadmaps, some Xeons were supposed to use the LGA 2066 platform, so maybe the models we want will be there.
Another thing that would dissapoint me even further is if after all the wait, I'l end up settling for a E5 16xxv4 for the build. May as well have done so some months ago...
Have you considered AMD?

NickTdot

Oct 20, 2016
Can you run prime95 and post the temperatures you get in that chassis?
I'll give it a try!

Results: With all the fans on in the case (2x 140mm on top, 3x 1200mm on front, 1x exhausting 140mm at the back), and 120mm fan each atop the passive cooler, the temps jumped from ambient 34C to 72C and steadily rose 1C every couple seconds to slowly stabilize at 93C.

The issue I'm having is the lack of effective active coolers for the LGA3647 right now. I may have to duct each heatsink to a 120mm fan with a reducer I can fit on the side or top of the heatsink.

There's sufficient airflow through the case, now have to get heat into it. If anyone comes across an active (quiet) LGA3647 cooler, let me know!

Last edited:

Pepe

Jul 22, 2016
I'll give it a try!

Results: With all the fans on in the case (2x 140mm on top, 3x 1200mm on front, 1x exhausting 140mm at the back), and 120mm fan each atop the passive cooler, the temps jumped from ambient 34C to 72C and steadily rose 1C every couple seconds to slowly stabilize at 93C.

The issue I'm having is the lack of effective active coolers for the LGA3647 right now. I may have to duct each heatsink to a 120mm fan with a reducer I can fit on the side or top of the heatsink.

There's sufficient airflow through the case, now have to get heat into it. If anyone comes across an active (quiet) LGA3647 cooler, let me know!
Excuse me, wich processors are?

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I'll give it a try!

NM-I2011 Mounting-Kit
noctua have a kit to convert their coolers to lga 3647, imagine supermicro will have 3u fan coolers availble soon.