Silverstone RM43-320

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DaveInTexas

Oct 28, 2021
I'm a noob here, but have been a lurker for awhile. I thought I'd mention/announce that SilverStone has confirmed they are finally releasing a successor to the venerable RM420. The new model number is RM43-320. It is a 4U, 20x 3.5" hot swap bay rackmount chassis. The design is similar to some of the SuperMicro 24-bay units, but it has larger fans in the middle. I also appreciate the fact there are exhaust fans in the rear. Both are features lacking in most of these type of products such as those found from Norco, IStarUSA, and MonoPrice to name a few.

Estimated availability is December 2021. However, with the current supply chain constraints, I'm not optimistic it will be possible to actually get one in-hand before January at the earliest.

I have not been able to get any additional details, but based on the solid design of the old RM420, I expect this will be a strong competitor to SuperMicro for anyone who does not require SM's legendary (but finicky) mobos. I couldn't get specs/dimensions either, but bull-parking the image it looks about the same length as the RM420 (pure conjecture on my part). So, some details are TBD and likely to be sketchy. SilverStone has been tight-lipped on other details, such as MSRP.

ss_rm43-320.jpg

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Just an FYI that Supermicro has never required their own motherboard in their non-proprietary chassis like the 846 line.

DaveInTexas

Oct 28, 2021
Perhaps “required” was a poor word choice on my part. I’ve built several SuperMicro chassis over the years and found that a few of them seemed to only be suitable for use with SuperMicro boards. I don’t recall any particular model numbers. It could have been something related to certain models. Either way, I didn’t intend to bash on SuperMicro either. I’m quite fond of their boards from a reliability perspective.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake!