Silverstone DS380: ITX 8x SAS/Sata Hotswap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Welp. Joining the DS380 gang.

System build:
X10SDV-4C-TLN2F (Xeon D-1521 with active cooler, 6 SATA, 1x NVME, 2x10GbE for those unfamiliar)
128gb DDR4 RDIMM
8x8TB hard drives (mixed between HC510s and some red label EasyStore shucks from a few years ago)
Supermicro AOC-S3008L HBA (overkill for the drives; future proofing in case I get a wild hair and want some 12G SAS SSDs)
2x S3500 600gb OS drives

I'm concerned about the reported heat issues so I went ahead and added some Fractal Design Venturi HP fans to the order. I might even try to strap the fans directly onto the drive cages, we'll see I guess. Since some of my drives are 5400 and some are 7200 I'm thinking I'll either stagger them, or put the faster drives in the top slots.

For the OS I'll be running Proxmox with all the typical tv/movie services running in Docker containers.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
So I just got the case and already ran into my first snag... I suspect the case has been sitting in a warehouse for a hot minute because the pentagon pattern bolt that secures the front door was in there pretty good. The first of 2 flimsy plastic tools that Silverstone included just twisted right apart when I tried to unscrew the bolt. I gingerly tried the second, but could easily tell that the same would happen to it before the bolt comes out. This borderline qualifies as "asshole design" IMO.

Anyone know what I should search for to actually get a metal driver?

Last edited: