Silverstone DS380: ITX 8x SAS/Sata Hotswap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cadamwil

Jan 16, 2014
Nashville, TN
In one pic on Facebook they have a power supply in place, a SFX sized one. They are tiny. I have the Silverstone 450W Gold PS on my desk. As for availability of the DS380, I just ordered one from Sundial Micro. Silverstone just got them into the US on Wednesday evening. Computer Cases, HTPC cases, CPU Coolers, Power Supplies at the best prices

The mini-ITX Asrock mobo with the LSI controller won't be available in the US until early March according to an email exchange I had with Asrock. They say Newegg.com should have it first.

Andyreas

Jul 26, 2013
Sweden
Just some info aimed for the Swedes on this forum. I talked with the Swedish distributor (Captech) of both the Asrock motherboard mentioned above and the chassi. Regarding the motherboard that is nothing they'll have in store and there is a deliverytime on those for 10-14 Days. Regarding the chassi they don't have a current ETA for that but will get back to me as soon as they do.

cadamwil

Jan 16, 2014
Nashville, TN
I now have the DS380 in my hands. I think it is as small as you could make it without getting very creative and likely compromising cooling. If anyone wants any pics or measurements of specific things let me know. However it will be a bit before I have a running NAS in it. Waiting on money for the mobo, ram and drives. Also kind of waiting on the Asrock E3C224D4I-14S to come out.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Where did you get one from?!? Pics would be great also.

cadamwil

Jan 16, 2014
Nashville, TN
Sundial micro (sundialmicro.com) They are listed as a retailer by Silverstone USA, and drop ship from Silverstone. Anything in particular people want to see pictures of? I will take some and post them tomorrow night.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Sundial micro (sundialmicro.com) They are listed as a retailer by Silverstone USA, and drop ship from Silverstone. Anything in particular people want to see pictures of? I will take some and post them tomorrow night.
Thank you a ton! I just ordered one.

Also ordered a Seasonic SFX PSU

Karmak

Apr 11, 2011
Why the E3C224D4I-14S with only 4 x SATA3? Or do you run non-SATA drives?

The LSI 2308 will also allow SATA drives. So you can connect 4+8 or a total of 12 SATA drives to the motherboard.

Last edited:

cadamwil

Jan 16, 2014
Nashville, TN
Really it is to guarantee the best performance. LSI HBA and Xeon proc vs Marvell SATA controllers and a Avoton. On another forum someone said they were getting 50 MB/s off of FreeNAS and the Avoton, and I would like better performance than that.

Karmak

Apr 11, 2011
Can you point me in a direction to see how that is done (connectors, photos, etc)?
Here's a thread from the UNRAID forums on a build that is using SAS controllers to connect SATA drives.

Caselabs M8 server

In this case, the cards used are two Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 and one Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 , but it works the same with the LSI 2308 .

Here is the STH info article on the LSI2308.

http://www.servethehome.com/lsi-sas-2308-raid-controller-hba-information-listing/

and finally, to connect from the HBA to the drives you would need a SFF-8087 forward breakout cable like this one:

0.5m 30AWG Internal Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) Male w/ Latch to SATA 7pin Female (x4) Forward Breakout Cable - Black - Monoprice.com

Hope that helps.

dataoscar

Dec 2, 2013
I now have the DS380 in my hands. I think it is as small as you could make it without getting very creative and likely compromising cooling. If anyone wants any pics or measurements of specific things let me know. However it will be a bit before I have a running NAS in it. Waiting on money for the mobo, ram and drives. Also kind of waiting on the Asrock E3C224D4I-14S to come out.
Any chance at those pics? I would like to see it in action. Thinking of grabbing one of these.

Edit: also, how hot does it get. Are the drives well ventilated?

cadamwil

Jan 16, 2014
Nashville, TN
My one gripe with this case is there is one hole drilled through the aluminum front panel, but the piece on the back of the front panel is clearly made for both of the LEDs to shine through. If they would have drilled two holes and made the front panel nameplate differently, the power led could have shown through or illuminated the Silverstone, with the HD light blinking through the hole. Otherwise this thing is great, tiny, full of great features and hopefully very quiet in action.

Adam

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thank you a ton! I just ordered one.

Also ordered a Seasonic SFX PSU
Just sharing an update. Although Sundial Micro advertises same day shipping, I still do not have a tracking number. I already got my Supermicro SC505-203B I ordered at the same time from another seller, the Seasonic PSU and others that I ordered the same time.

Will post status updates but would probably try ordering from MiniKnight's source:
Now available for $159.99 + 34 shipping on ebay. Two listings popped up overnight: silverstone ds380 | eBay