Silverstone DS380: ITX 8x SAS/Sata Hotswap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@maze funny you mention that!
I'm about to check mine, it's my backup storage system in the corner and I don't keep it `on network` all the time but I've heard it rebuilding or doing something what seems like almost every day... not sure if it's a drive, backplane issue, or what but I'll let you know what I find.

Sep 10, 2015
Has anyone had issues with drives dropping out of raids in this chassi?

Im running an xpenology setup in mine. 5x2tb and 1x8tb drives + 2x ssd on a Aston avoton quadcore board.

8tb runs fine - No issues putting load on it. But as soon as i but any load on my 2tb drive raid5 it crashes.. Im wondering if its the backplane or something like that.
Is that drive on another controller that isn't intel? I know that marvell controller has issues with drives dropping out on my asrock board.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@Diavuno pics on page #7 -- potential for short, bad connection, lose cable(s), etc... not saying it's that or a drive or anything exactly related to the case but sharing my observations. I'll dig into it soon.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
That sure would make cabling cleaner and easier to handle in this tiny`lil`case :D

Reactions: Diavuno

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Is that drive on another controller that isn't intel? I know that marvell controller has issues with drives dropping out on my asrock board.
Being tired, i forgot the name of the board, but its the C2550D4I - which has both Intel and marvel controller.

Storage
SATA Controller
- Intel® C2550 : 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, 4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s
Additional Storage Controller:
- Marvell SE9172: 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, support RAID 0, 1
- Marvell SE9230: 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, support RAID 0, 1, 10 (To update Marvell SE 9230 FW, please click here)

I'll check which drives is connected to what when I get home from Work today :)

Sep 10, 2015
Being tired, i forgot the name of the board, but its the C2550D4I - which has both Intel and marvel controller.

Storage
SATA Controller
- Intel® C2550 : 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, 4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s
Additional Storage Controller:
- Marvell SE9172: 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, support RAID 0, 1
- Marvell SE9230: 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, support RAID 0, 1, 10 (To update Marvell SE 9230 FW, please click here)

I'll check which drives is connected to what when I get home from Work today :)
Marvell controller on that board has many reported issues with stability. Most people advise to not use it.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Marvell controller on that board has many reported issues with stability. Most people advise to not use it.
Time to Mount a disc controller and see what happens i guess. Too bad it takes up a driveslot to do so.

Thanks, i'll report back :)

maze

Apr 27, 2013
So, I just got back from work, and tried to move the discs from the marvel controller, onto the intel. No crashes so far and its moving data.

Update: still running smoothly :)

Wrote AsrockRack support, Will see what they say. Had a hard time finding the serialnumber in ipmi/bios..

Will keep you posted.

Btw. @OP sorry for the hijacking. Please let me know if you want me out of the thread!

Last edited:

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Update.

Okay, i got word back from Asrock support. Told me to firmware upgrade the marvel controller according to their FAQ page (who the hell puts that on an FAQ page and not on the actual motherboard page..?).

Anyway.

I did it last night, just put the server back up now and tried to copy some data. Seems to be stable now but lets see when its done copying 500GB of data from the intel controller to the marvel one :)

Update: transfer competed, no errors. Seems like a firmware update did the trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stux and Quasduco

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
FreeNAS reports everything A-OK with mine. No errors anywhere.

Going to keep an eye on it.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well some sad news on this front. I tried installing a Chelsio T420 dual port adapter and it was too tall to fit between the ASRock Rack C2750 board and the 8 drive bays :-/

Back to the single port Mellanox.

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
Well some sad news on this front. I tried installing a Chelsio T420 dual port adapter and it was too tall to fit between the ASRock Rack C2750 board and the 8 drive bays :-/

Back to the single port Mellanox.
It's too bad Supermicro doesn't make an X10SDV with 2x10GE SFP+ in ITX form factor. Add a short enough LSI 8i HBA (you might have to file a notch in the plastic plate) and a couple of these and you're all set!

I'm doing this -except I'm using the existing 10GBASE-T variant- and am pretty happy with it.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Sweet case, needs more 2.5
In flurbling around the internet I came across this:
ABLECOM 大訊科技 - Products - ABLECOM 大訊科技 - CS-T80

Looks to be almost the exact same layout as the aforementioned Norco ITX-S8 but with a) 2x2.5" mounts inside and b) a single 120mm fan instead of 2x80mm and c) slightly different facia. Potentially similar enclosure to the new FreeNAS box, as I think AbleCom make the old one as well...?

(I'm potentially very late to the party here but didn't see the CS-T80 name bandied around the forums)

Reactions: Patrick
Sep 10, 2015
But, for a silent solution, I think the ultra-thin fan exiting air out the side would be more efficient... especially if you did two, then again this may swirl.. never know :) Have to test!!!

We'll just have to see as I hack it up and test, and take more pics :)
Did you ever go the ultra-thin fan method? Any pics?

MrCalvin

IT consultant, Denmark
Aug 22, 2016
Denmark
www.wit.dk
I do have a few PWS-203-1H units around which should be around the size. Any FlexATX power supplies you recommend?
Dear Patrick

Do you know if the SuperMicro PWS-203-1H PSU is manufactured by SuperMicro or whitelabel, perhaps manufactured by FSP?
Would you say it's High Quality/server-grade?

UPDATE: found this picture, it sure look SuperMicro, but I guess you newer know what's inside :p

Last edited: