Silverstone DS380: ITX 8x SAS/Sata Hotswap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Wow! That is a great looking one. Now to find somewhere that has one in stock.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
nitrobass the C2750 ASRock board is the recommended motherboard on the specs page. Their pictures are sucky but:

Very interested.

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Agreed very slick for a premium NAS chassis. One minor point to improve would be the grouping with thin dividers of 5 bays + 1 + 2 to get the total of 8 hotswap bays.
That asrock motherboard is excellent although a 2nd pci-e slot would be nice. Speaking of the C2750 could you vMotion from a Haswell Xeon system to Avoton C2750?

FYI Hardocp Forum link, discusses the DS380 and two iStar NAS mitx chassis giving 10+ hotswap with 5.25 adapters but at a much higher price.

Last edited:

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Wow! That is a great looking one. Now to find somewhere that has one in stock.
I doubt you will find it in the Retail channel for at least a month or so, as it was just announced. Maybe we could call Silverstone and get a review unit.

nitrobass the C2750 ASRock board is the recommended motherboard on the specs page. Their pictures are sucky but:

Very interested.
The motherboard I mentioned is differnt from what they have listed. The one i mentioned is an extended-ITX board, so it is about 2inches wider. I has a Mini-SAS header for the Intel SATA ports as well as an LSI 2308 chipset w/ 2x Mini-SAS headers.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
As someone who has a SG05 I really like Silverstone's products. It'll be pricey for sure, so I'd only consider it for places where it'd be 'on show' and not able to be hidden somewhere...

I just wish I hadn't bought the Asrock ITX Mobo that I put in my SG05, which had 1 of it's 2 memory slots dead. But that's just a lesson for me in paying a little more $$ for quality parts.

ElementML

Jan 22, 2014
Looking at the pictures, if you went with a FlexATX or DC/Pico PSU you might have room for an extended ITX board such as the ASRock E3C244D4I-14S...it has 3x Mini SAS headers :)
ASRock Rack > E3C224D4I-14S
A heads up - I asked ASRock about compatibility for DS380 and E3C244D4I-14, they confirmed it fits and snapped a couple of photos showing the board in the chassis. Details at https://www.facebook.com/ASRockRack/posts/336285553178293.

I think this will almost definitely be my chassis/mobo combo for my ESXi AIO build, it checks all of the boxes!

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield
Not sure I understand exactly why you found this funny, but I was planning on this. Not enough juice? Or it's too big to fit with that board?
It's not funny, it's sad.
I am disappointed that you did not understand me...
Very frustrating when consultants say white on black ...
I understand that there is a SFX PSU, but ...
The photo shows that it will not fit there because of the edge MoBo.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
@ElementML - I think what he's getting at is the edge of the ASRock MOBO extends beyond the two PCIe spaces and encroaches into the PSU area.

ElementML

Jan 22, 2014
It's not funny, it's sad.
I am disappointed that you did not understand me...
Very frustrating when consultants say white on black ...
I understand that there is a SFX PSU, but ...
The photo shows that it will not fit there because of the edge MoBo.
No worries Hanss, I just wasn't sure what you were referring to specifically - no harm done :).

Looking at the photos again, I see what you mean about the mobo extending slightly into the PSU bay. I wonder if something like this would fit? 40mm high vs 63mm for the SilverStone unit.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
No worries Hanss, I just wasn't sure what you were referring to specifically - no harm done :).

Looking at the photos again, I see what you mean about the mobo extending slightly into the PSU bay. I wonder if something like this would fit? 40mm high vs 63mm for the SilverStone unit.
It sort of looks like they have the screw mounts for FlexATX, in the middle of the PSU area (It would be kind of brainless if they didn't), but without specific support in documentation or photographic proof I personally would wait until someone braver bit ;)