Silverstone CS381 announced at CES 2018

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
Update:
the Silverstone CS381 is expected to be available around late Q2 or early Q3 according to the company.

I just came across and saw this new case from Silverstone. The new design is quite impressed. it holds 8x3.5 hotswap + 2 SSDs. Couldn't find more detail information on it yet, but definitely will keep eyes on it.

Dimension of the case:
398(W)×320(D)×232(H)mm

CS381 started @ 4:32
FINALLY Some Great Looking mATX Cases for 2018 !

Last edited:
Reactions: EluRex

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Heh, looks almost identical to a design I made in SketchUp years ago when I had flights of fancy of designing my own NAS case.

Looks like a nice design mostly. Very nice that it can fit mATX. Like the two large fans in the back, though the airflow looks somewhat constrained by the front door.

sfx power supply :(
dont like this.

Nothing wrong with SFX, except maybe the lack of choice. An 8 HDD NAS system isn't going to require a lot of power. At least it isn't TFX or FlexATX.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
I would like a micro-atx chassis with atx psu and room for 16 hotswap 3.5" drives.
2x 2.5" for os or cache drives would also be good.
Should be possible to make a chassis with 2 stacks of 8 drives side by side.

-J

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
I think the CS380 - which takes the same number of drives is still a better choice, its about the same size (probably less by volume) and gives you an extra 2x5.25 bays for a 2.5 inch hostswap rack for an additional 8 - 12 drives if needed.

Already available and cheap (£100)

Last edited:

jahsoul

Dec 13, 2013
War Eagle Country
I think the CS380 - which takes the same number of drives is still a better choice, its about the same size (probably less by volume) and gives you an extra 2x5.25 bays for a 2.5 inch hostswap rack for an additional 8 - 12 drives if needed.

Already available and cheap (£100)
The biggest turn off for me and the CS380 is the fact that the bays don't have status leds. From the video, it looks like the CS381 has them. I just wish we got something like this with SAS3 support. :(

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
The biggest turn off for me and the CS380 is the fact that the bays don't have status leds. From the video, it looks like the CS381 has them. I just wish we got something like this with SAS3 support. :(
CS380 supports SAS and there are HDD indicator leds on the backplane, the trays have a acrylic "wand" running though them so you can see the activity led on the front of the tray - not sure what it indicates yet though as I need to BIOS update my board before I can test (ASrock E3V5 arrived with a V1 BIOS and I need to update support Kaby Lake - Skylake Celeron should be arriving tomorrow so I can get it updated)

Will post back with my findings! :)

jahsoul

Dec 13, 2013
War Eagle Country
Closest I saw in a tower format with SAS3 support were a couple of enclosures made by InWin;
InWin IW-PLV Tower
InWin IW-MS08

Neither of them are really compact in the sense I'm used to, but the MS08 (mATX motherboard) would have been a buy from me if I could have found anyone selling it.
That IW-MS08 was definitely on my wishlist, but I couldn't find it anywhere either and would probably have to buy it direct

CS380 supports SAS and there are HDD indicator leds on the backplane, the trays have a acrylic "wand" running though them so you can see the activity led on the front of the tray - not sure what it indicates yet though as I need to BIOS update my board before I can test (ASrock E3V5 arrived with a V1 BIOS and I need to update support Kaby Lake - Skylake Celeron should be arriving tomorrow so I can get it updated)

Will post back with my findings! :)
I had no idea that the CS380 had indicator leds. I might look into it a little more.

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
InWin MS08 is almost perfect chassis for a SOHO/Lab solution, not available anywhere yet, a few guys at my employer had a serious go at trying to get some over several months but could not get a commitment from any EMEA distributor on availability unfortunately